View Full Version : Static on Mobile Tools (Hammer Jointer Planer)

Prashun Patel
03-14-2019, 9:42 AM
Does anyone experience this same issue?

My Hammer A3-31 jointer planer accumulates a LOT of static charge during planing operations. Not at all during jointing.

I have it connected with a flex pipe to my dust collector. The DC is grounded.

The charge is so bad that it shocks me on every single board. I have to take care to ground the machine throughout the op with my hand.

How do you ground a mobile tool?

Brad Alexander
03-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Should be grounded at the electrical connection. Better get that checked.

Edwin Santos
03-14-2019, 10:05 AM
That's mysterious. Are you confident the machine's ground wire is properly connected to the cable and plug you installed when you received he machine? Maybe the ground is not properly connected at the receptacle? Have you opened the electrical connection box on the machine and inspected the connections?

You could always attach a secondary ground wire and ground to something in the vicinity, but honestly, that shouldn't be necessary.

Sometimes static charge is a bigger issue in dry climates but NJ would not qualify so that theory's out. Subscribing to this thread to see the other responses you receive. Wish I could be more help.

Edwin

Rod Sheridan
03-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Hi Prashun, I presume you're using plastic flex?

If so, that's the issue.

Typically planing produces much more chip volume per second which causes more friction in the hose and more static electricity.

The first thing I would try is grounding the wire in your hose at the collector end.

If that doesn't reduce the static enough use aluminum flex. It's only a problem in the dry season, however I remember a couple good shocks which prompted me to take action...Rod.

Prashun Patel
03-14-2019, 2:33 PM
Thanks Everyone. yes, Rod, it's plastic flex, but wire reinforced. Ok, this is my excuse to upgrade my pipe!!!

Edwin Santos
03-14-2019, 6:38 PM
FWIW, I have the same machine and I have it connected to the aluminum spiral duct pipe from the machine using the 4" anti-static hose that Rockler sells. Never been shocked yet. I don't have any grounding wires running through the pipe.

Edwin