PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wood ID

James Hutchinson
03-13-2019, 2:11 PM
First time poster here. I'm building some cabinets for client who wants to match some wood furniture she has. I'm struggling to ID the wood species. Any help would be appreciated. See attached photo
Thanks, James

Richard Coers
03-13-2019, 2:20 PM
My guess would be sweet gum. But I really can't see the grain structure and an end grain closeup would help a lot! It would also help to know the history of the furniture. Was it made local or from a box store? That would help with narrowing down a domestic or exotic lumber.

James Hutchinson
03-13-2019, 4:33 PM
Hey Richard,
I don't have any specific information regarding where the furniture was purchased. The owners are from out of town (New York), and the project is here in Boulder, CO. My contact is contractor. Here is another image I took. Hard to see end grain, but maybe it'll help.

Jon Grider
03-13-2019, 4:57 PM
Hey Richard,
I don't have any specific information regarding where the furniture was purchased. The owners are from out of town (New York), and the project is here in Boulder, CO. My contact is contractor. Here is another image I took. Hard to see end grain, but maybe it'll help.
405561 Not sure but I'll take a swing anyway. Some variety of Rosewood with sap and heartwood? It is pretty for sure.

Andrew Hughes
03-13-2019, 5:23 PM
It’s very calico so I’m playing it safe and going with hickory.
Let me know if I win anything :)

Peter Christensen
03-13-2019, 7:23 PM
Mesquite perhaps?

Richard Coers
03-13-2019, 11:48 PM
Nope, no help. I'm changing my guess to something exotic, maybe plantation teak. Picture from a screen shot from Google search, unfinished lumber. Looks like imported furniture to me. Those legs are big enough to hold a pickup truck!

Jim Andrew
03-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Looks a lot like some natural Hickory flooring I have seen. It looks amazing finished natural, but don't care for it stained.

Justin Rapp
03-14-2019, 10:18 PM
I been using hickory for the past few projects, and while this wood has a hickory appearance, the grain seems a little different. Although, there are a bunch of different hickory and pecan woods that are all generally available under the name 'hickory'. Here is a bed made from Hickory - I think you have something else.

Justin Rapp
03-14-2019, 10:21 PM
another thought - almond wood?

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/25611-almond-wood/