PDA

View Full Version : First Eccentric Turning

Raymond Overman
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Here's a shot of the first eccentric turning I've done. The base is yew and the finial is ebony. It measures about 3" across by 3" tall with the finial. The base is hollowed. This is going to a guy at the company I work for. He brought me back three pieces of yew from a trip to the UK. He's from over across the pond originally. I hope he likes it.

Carole Valentine
12-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Cool! That stuff fascinates me!

BTW...can I steal your sig? I need to post that on my shop wall!

Raymond Overman
12-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Carole,

I quoted it (essentially stole it) so I don't see why not. Anyway, what are you doing up at 12:38 EST. Time to check the eyelids for cracks I think.

Thanks for the comment!

Lee DeRaud
12-07-2005, 1:32 AM
I quoted it (essentially stole it) so I don't see why not."Happiness is a warm chainsaw"? Sounds familiar, but I can't place it.:p

Raymond Overman
12-07-2005, 7:24 AM
"Happiness is a warm chainsaw"? Sounds familiar, but I can't place it.:p

Similar to Lennon/McCartney's "Happiness is a warm gun" but as far as I know, "Happiness is a warm chainsaw" is mine. The Napoleon Hill quote is of course what I borrowed and what I believe Carole was referencing.

Either way, Carole can print and post either one on her shop wall as long as she references the author and not get into any legal hot water. :)

Keith Burns
12-07-2005, 8:18 AM
That is a "Way Cool" piece Ray.

John Hart
12-07-2005, 8:22 AM
Nice piece Ray....Great Gift!

Bill Stevener
12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Ray,
A great turning. I tried one the other day for the Itty Bitty contest, at 3500 rpm. it left the confines of the lathe and I haven't found it yet. Not recommended for Micro forms :eek: .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Lee DeRaud
12-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Similar to Lennon/McCartney's "Happiness is a warm gun" but as far as I know, "Happiness is a warm chainsaw" is mine.I was thinking maybe Tobe Hooper:eek: , but everybody here knows I have a twisted mind...:cool: :D

Raymond Overman
12-07-2005, 2:20 PM
I was thinking maybe Tobe Hooper:eek: , but everybody here knows I have a twisted mind...:cool: :D

Talk about eccentric! Whew....

John Hart
12-07-2005, 2:38 PM
Funny....This whole time, I thought it was a spinoff of "Happiness is a Warm Puppy" - Charlie Brown

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 9:00 PM
Very cool Raymond. That Yew is really nice.

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
12-07-2005, 9:35 PM
Raymond,
very nice design and wood selection. This eccentric stuff is most interesting, as it's difficult to predict exactly what you're going to get.

Bill,
Hate it when that happens. You'll come across that piece of wood eventually and go "So THAT'S where that went"

John,
You're certainly old enough to remember the Beatles song, you must have been 10 or 12 at the time. IIRC, it WAS mostly just a secondary song, not played over the air that much.

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:35 AM
Great job Raymond:) I need to learn how to do that some day..:confused:

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 6:51 AM
Very interesting! I like it!

Raymond Overman
12-08-2005, 7:37 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. The piece was well received yesterday with a promise to bring more wood from the UK after Christmas travels. The guy I gave it to is a Sr. VP and does quite a bit of traveling to Europe, Asia, and Australia so this could be pretty interesting. I like it when people just start bringing me exotic wood.

Speaking of, the president of the company I work for brought me cutoffs from the Brazilian Cherry doors he's having put in his new pool house. I made a pen and a small pen stand / box out of part of it and gave it back to him. It worked and finished beautifully. The doors must have cost a fortune.

Bill, you'll find that micro turning. It will be in the last place you look for it. :)

Dick, as for learning how to do the eccentric turning, it's not as hard as you think. Just start with your piece centered and turn the base end of your finial. Ease the end that will be leading into the second section. Loosen the chuck and tailstock and move the tailstock end by a few degrees and retighten.

Take light cuts while riding the bevel of your bowl gouge for the second section. Be careful at your transition point and don't touch the previous section. I used an oval skew to clean up to the transition point. Repeat the process for the next section.

Sand each section as you go. Hand sand the transition points off the lathe.

Today's the day to learn Dick! What's the worse that could happen? Toothpicks?

Good luck!

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 8:34 AM
Very nice. The woods are beautiful.

Karl