PDA

View Full Version : Spyware warning in my computer

Jim Young
12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
OK, I get home from my ball game tonight to find my wife telling me there is something wrong with the computer. I check it out and the back drop now has changed to this black background with big giant words saying "warning spyware detected on your computer, install an antispyware or virus remover to clean your computer"
Then there is a link "view the list of top spyware removers here"

I'm not sure if it is real or if me clicking on the link will kill my computer. Any suggestions???

Jamie Buxton
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
It is probably an advertisement. The links may take you to a company which wants to sell you such programs. Or the links may take you to some other kind of site you might not otherwise visit.

However, if you don't have antivirus and antispyware on your machine, they are a good idea. I use two free ones which have good reputations. For antispyware, I use Microsoft's. You can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx.
For antivirus, I use AVG, in the free version. You can download it at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1. So far, these two have kept me clean, and they don't seem to eat too many system resources.

Bart Leetch
12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
If something like this comes up on your computer & your not sure Ctrl Alt Delete & close it in the Windows Task Manager DO NOT CLOSE IT USING THE LITTLE X IN THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER. Some of these things put stuff on you hard drive that will really goof it up.:eek: DAMHIKT.:mad:

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 9:20 AM
My wifes laptop got that one, and none of the usual anti-virus/adware programs would get rid of it. Hopefully newer versions now have that capability. We ended up having to backup, reformat the drive, and re-install everything to get rid of it.

tod evans
12-07-2005, 9:27 AM
i recomend kaspersky for antivirus software. .02 tod

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 9:37 AM
Jim, absolutely, positively, under no circumstances!!!! do you want to follow any links from that page!!!! Don't do it!!!! What Bart suggests is probably the best way to close out of it!!!

Do a "google" and get yourself "Adaware" and then "Spybot Search & Destroy". Download, install and run, making sure you get the latest updates first. Also, the MS application Jamie refers to is another good one to have and does a pretty decent job of keeping things off your machine in real-time. Just remember that, today you simply can't use a single anti-spyware application and expect it to be the "silver bullet". Good luck and keep us posted on progress.:) :cool:

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 1:13 PM
Like John said. On this pc I am running Noadware, AVG, Spyware Doctor, Spybot, and CWShredder. This morning I ran scans with all of them and only one (Spyware Doctor which I ran last) found a trojan that had somehow gotten by them all called Email.Worm.Bagle.

Leo Hill
12-07-2005, 1:28 PM
Any suggestions???
Simply go here http://spywareinfo.com/ and educate yourself about all the nasty malware that is out there.

Spywareinfo.com is a one-stop place where you can learn how to avoid and catch and rid your computer of spyware.

Lots of links to free or very inexpensive programs.

I wish you the best of luck ridding yourself of this malware infestation.

Leo