PDA

View Full Version : Stanley no 8 parts

mark kosse
03-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Howdy folks,,I picked up a no 8c today, or at least part of it. It's a version 15 and has a good tote and knob. It missing the blade, chipbreaker and cap. I'm willing to buy a LV blade and chipbreaker. Anyone know where to buy a cap? I didn't see anything on eBay. Thanks

Jim Koepke
03-11-2019, 1:30 AM
The #8 is the only plane that uses a 2-5/8" lever cap. They do not come up for sale that often.

You may want to set up a saved search on ebay get email notification when one is listed.

You could also contact all the usual sellers for such things.

NHplaneparts https://nhplaneparts.com

Patrick Leach http://www.supertool.com

Bob Kaune https://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

If you are not picky, NHplane parts has a lever cap for a transitional that is 2-5/8". (there may also be a correct on in the list, my eyes are starting to get tired.

My #4-1/2 came with a transitional cap and worked fine. It was changed out eventually.

jtk

Bill Houghton
03-11-2019, 9:43 AM
Also Pete Niederberger, who doesn't, as far as I know, offer a website, but responds quickly to e-mails: pniederber@aol.com

Mark Gibney
03-11-2019, 11:07 AM
If you find it difficult to find a lever cap you could make one from brass or aluminum. Instead of a lever you can drill a hole, tap it and use a short bolt to tighten it up. There are youtube videos showing this process, I haven't done this myself.

Kyle Fries
03-11-2019, 2:10 PM
I have purchased some parts recently from Bob Kaune and I have purchased from NH Plane Parts through eBay. Both have excellent service and should do you well. I reached out to Bob through e-mail and he responded within a day.
Good luck and enjoy your #8!

mark kosse
03-11-2019, 8:20 PM
Thanks folks! I checked the websites and didn't see any listed but didn't have time to call. I have an 8 so after I clean the 8C up I could always use the parts from it to see which I like better. Strangely enough, I seem to remember my 8 being a type 15 also but I haven't wandered out to the shop to check that.

Stew Denton
03-11-2019, 8:28 PM
Mark,

As per the comment by Jim, nhplaneparts has a 2&5/8" wide transitional plane lever cap on that auction site for $25.95, with Free Shipping.

From what Jim wrote, it would be worth your time to contact them at the email address that Jim lists above to ask if that lever cap will fit your plane, and work fine on it. It won't look like the original lever cap, but if you are primarily concerned about performance, it may be fine.

Nhplaneparts also shows some actual Stanley Bailey lever caps that were "buy it now" options that look like they did not sell in the listing of past auctions. Thus they may still have them in stock at their place of business. Those are listed as being around $40, but I did not look past the first page in that part of the site. There may be some that are higher or lower priced, I did not look past the front page of past auctions, so it would be worth your time to contact them to ask about those as well.

Stew

mark kosse
03-11-2019, 9:17 PM
Thanks Stew, I need to call tomorrow as I just don't see all that info on the website. This iPad sometimes does that.