PDA

View Full Version : Can I get away without a backer veneer?

Cliff Polubinsky
03-10-2019, 5:38 PM
I'm building a sofa table for one of my daughters. I've got the parts cut and fitted and joinery done. It's not glued yet.

I was looking through my odds and end the other day and ran across a piece that would look really nice as a book match veneer across the aprons and drawer front. I was able to get a pair of 1/6" slices after sanding.

The problem is that with the interior parts already fitted it's going to be tricky trying to fit a backer veneer to the back of the aprons and drawer front. Maybe cut holes in the backer for the drawer supports and braces to fit through? If the aprons are 7" x 4" and the drawer if 20" x 4" is it risking warping if I skip the backer?

All suggestions welcome.

Cliff

Jamie Buxton
03-10-2019, 6:13 PM
You'd be putting veneer on solid lumber, right? And the grain direction of the veneer is the same as the substrate? And the drawer has a bottom which is glued to the front?

I'd say no you don't need a backer veneer. The veneer is going to be expanding and contracting the same way as the substrate, so it isn't going to be trying to warp the substrate. Furthermore, you have the drawer bottom, which will also be acting to hold the substrate flat.

Jim Becker
03-10-2019, 7:59 PM
I don't believe you need a backer veneer on these smaller, captive parts.

John TenEyck
03-10-2019, 8:07 PM
I've done what you are contemplating with no adverse effects.

John

Cliff Polubinsky
03-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Thank you all. I was hoping that would be the consensus.

Cliff