PDA

View Full Version : Any "scrollers" here at SMC?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2019, 2:27 PM
I am working on a scroll saw project. I have been using Olson scroll saw blades and Pegas #7R blades. I am cutting red oak and have worn out a few blades. Are there any "Premium" brand blades of considerable difference beyond the two I am using?

Thanks!

Richard Jones
03-10-2019, 2:45 PM
Ken,

Try Flying Dutchman blades. I've had great luck with them. mikesworkshop

Robert Hayward
03-10-2019, 6:47 PM
Ken,

+1 Good person to deal with and good products.

Larry Frank
03-10-2019, 7:29 PM
I use Flying Dutchman blades and they are very good. I use the skip tooth ones FD Polar on thicker oak 3/4" . On thinner wood I use the Ultra Reverse blades.

Is there a big difference between FD and Olson ...probably not. Biggest thing is using the right type of blade.

Charles Lent
03-10-2019, 8:42 PM
Mikes Workshop sold the scroll saw blade business to The Wooden Teddy Bear almost 2 years ago. I believe both websites still work, but you will get your blades from The Wooden Teddy Bear. Both websites sell the Flying Dutchman brand of blades. I found them to be superior for what I make (mostly compound cut projects). I wasn't happy with the same type Olson blades, mostly because they didn't cut straight. The cut was always biased, so feeding the work required doing so at an angle.

There is a forum for scroll saw woodworkers with some very talented members. 'www.scrollsawvillage.com. I'm also a member there.

Charley

Jim Finn
03-11-2019, 10:50 PM
I do a LOT of scroll saw work, 3d cutting and double bevel inlay. I also use Flying Dutchman blades (#5 polar) and #7 Olson Precision Ground blades. which I prefer for 3d cutting.

glenn bradley
03-12-2019, 8:55 AM
Ken,

+1. I need to qualify this. I was recommended these when I started thinking about a scroll saw and have used nothing else. I use materials like 1/8" maple through 3/4" oak. Their sampler pack (if they still offer it) is inexpensive and let's you try a number of blades to pick you favorites to stock up on.