PDA

View Full Version : Router snipe

John Keane
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I have recently been checking out a reverse glue joint bit using 6" test pieces and a zero sub-fence. I am getting snipe on the last inch. Is this par for the course? Do I need to have a longer board so that I can cutoff the snipe?, Do I need a better technique? I like the joint that the bit produces. I just don't like the snipe at the end.

Mark Singer
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Just use a backer piece...like a push stick you don't care about and push through

John Lucas
12-07-2005, 4:48 AM
Certainly a backer is wise but it sounds like your fence isnt set correctly. When you run the sample board, run at first stopping with 1" over the outfeed side. Stop the router and leave the board right there and move the fence forward until it kisses the fresh cut. When you run a straight baord always watch this position. And, you will have to check the bottom of the cut, since that is where it will be touching. When you running the stock, it will be like running stock over a jointer - technique. At the end of each board you should have moved your control of the outfeed portion...and without any rocking.
PS - A 6 inch test piece is going to be difficult no matter what.

pat warner
12-07-2005, 9:06 AM
Do I need a better technique? I like the joint that the bit produces. I just don't like the snipe at the end

Glue joint cutters profile and joint in one operation. They're full thickness cutters. As such, your fence has to be offset. See setup at the Jointing (http://www.patwarner.com/routertable_jointing.html)link.
There is a chance that you can take slightly less than a full thickness with your cutter (whose?). In that event, an offset fence is obviated. Try that first.

Jim Becker
12-07-2005, 9:41 AM
You may need a zero-clearance arrangement on your fence, too, as you need to be sure that the board is fully supported through the cut, especially for intricate joinery work.

Keith Christopher
12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I second Jim's recommendation. I was having small snipe issues with various bits until I put in a zero clearance.

Matt Meiser
12-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Acording to the DVD that came with my GRR-Rippers, they can be used to prevent this issue too.