PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever try using composite decking as a shop floor?

Jason White
03-09-2019, 6:24 PM
Trex, etc. directly on top of concrete? Anybody?

Jim Becker
03-09-2019, 8:06 PM
You'd need a subfloor or very closely spaced joists for something like Trex...it flexes A LOT.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-10-2019, 11:55 AM
I'd think the seams would be very annoying.

Jason White
03-10-2019, 12:03 PM
You'd need a subfloor or very closely spaced joists for something like Trex...it flexes A LOT.

I was thinking more like directly on top of a concrete floor. Sorry, I should’ve specified.

Jim Becker
03-10-2019, 3:03 PM
It would be durable, but fastening it down might be a challenge unless it's over sleepers/insulation and you could screw it to the sleepers. Most adhesives are not going to be overly enthused about holding this type of slick plastic fast, IMHO.

Jaromir Svoboda
03-10-2019, 7:42 PM
It's slippery.

Jon Snider
03-10-2019, 7:43 PM
I'd think the seams would be very annoying.

Boy, I agree. Unless you have a way around this the seams would just collect dust, dirt, that one irreplaceable screw, etc.

Jim Becker
03-10-2019, 7:45 PM
I don't think that the seams would be the same as an outdoor application because you don't have to leave a gap between them for rain to fall though in the shop, but there would still be a recess to catch debris because of how the edges are eased. I have that with a couple of expansion joints in my shop and stuff does collect in there.

Alan Lightstone
03-10-2019, 11:58 PM
I looked into that for the soffit on my new house. The cost was jaw-dropping.

Jim Becker
03-11-2019, 9:10 AM
Alan, in your geography especially, using composite for exterior trim is a good long-term investment because of the effects of moisture and "small creatures" on wood where you live. Yes, the initial outlay is much higher than a wood product, but you're not having to replace it prematurely. But that's a different situation than the OP's scenario. I suspect that a quantity of the material is available to him, so it's a good question to ask.

John K Jordan
03-11-2019, 9:14 AM
... I have that with a couple of expansion joints in my shop and stuff does collect in there.

OT, but have you considered filling the expansion joints with something? I bought some flexible compound made for that (and cracks) but I haven't tried it yet.

JKJ

Jim Becker
03-11-2019, 9:17 AM
Of course I have, John. It's on "the list". You know...that really long one that is always getting longer and never gets shorter. :) :D Same goes for the divots from where I pulled out walls way back when. They collect debris nicely, too.

Bill Dufour
03-11-2019, 9:43 AM
I looked into that for the soffit on my new house. The cost was jaw-dropping.

I have seen Hardie panel made for soffits. It is about 2 feet wide with a 6" wide strip drilled like pegboard with 1/4" holes for venting.
Bil lD

Dan Baginski
03-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Trex requires a gap between boards, no different than wood decking.

Jack Frederick
03-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Minnesota! Lovely place, but you do get some humidity as i recall. Fastening would I think be problematic and I would be concerned about developing mold/mildew between the slab and the Trex. Also, the profile of the edges and the gaps would be a giant pain in the neck. Just more organics to feed mold if in fact I'm correct on the mold.

Tom Bender
03-15-2019, 2:53 PM
How about peel and stick vinyl tiles. Works well for me.