PDA

View Full Version : Wet sharpener question..

Michael Costa
03-09-2019, 1:15 AM
What's the easier way to remove the nut that holds the grinding stone in place? The stone turns when I apply torque to it and there isn't any kind of locking mechanism that I know of. I tried holding the stone in place with my hand but that was a joke. I dont want to hold it with tools or wedge it in place because of course I'll probably break it. Suggestions? Sharpener is a Jet which is nearly identical to a Tormek.

Derek Cohen
03-09-2019, 5:59 AM
Is the shaft on your Jet stainless steel? On the early and pre-2006 Tormeks, the shaft was not, and it would weld itself to the wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tim Bueler
03-09-2019, 9:15 AM
I've loosened problem grinding stones with an impact wrench holding the wheel with a gloved hand. Just make sure you're turning the right direction.

Richard Jones
03-09-2019, 10:49 AM
To add to what Tim said, sometimes a good whack on the end of the wrench will loosen stubborn nuts when a steady pull won't.

David Bassett
03-09-2019, 1:25 PM
Or sometimes the opposite. I remember a machinist talking about unsticking a stubborn nut with continuous force. Rig it with a wrench on the nut and a bucket with weight (e.g. 5 gal of water is 40#) rigged 1-2" off the ground. Squirt the nut with penetrating oil and walk away. I think it was a 1-1/2 days, but the nut eventually released for him. In this case you would have to wedge the stone, but since there wouldn't be any impact I think you'd be more likely to avoid damage.

Michael Costa
03-09-2019, 2:37 PM
I've loosened problem grinding stones with an impact wrench holding the wheel with a gloved hand. Just make sure you're turning the right direction.

I'm not even sure what the correct direction is. The wheel spins clockwise so I would that make the threads reversed?

I say this because my miter saw blade spins clockwise and the nut to remove the blade is reverse threads.

Pete Staehling
03-09-2019, 5:51 PM
I'm not even sure what the correct direction is. The wheel spins clockwise so I would that make the threads reversed?

I say this because my miter saw blade spins clockwise and the nut to remove the blade is reverse threads.

If I remember correctly (I am not at the machine to check), I think my tormek clone (Grizzly) has a left handed thread on the stone. I'd think they'd all be the same, but can you see a few threads on the end of the shaft? If in doubt what you are seeing put a thin edge in the thread (paper works) and spin the wheel to see if it tracks in or out. Sometimes I do that as a reality check just to be sure my eyes aren't fooling me.

Bill Dufour
03-09-2019, 6:15 PM
You can wrap a leather belt around the face of the stone and anchor it somehow. Maybe a c-clamp to the bench. Do you own a strap clamp?

Tim Bueler
03-10-2019, 9:33 AM

Circular, miter and table saws all loosen the nut in the same direction the blade spins. Same with grinders...at least the ones I have. Weed eaters, spindle shapers, too. It tends to keep the nut tight under load rather than self loosening as some have experienced when running a shaper in reverse.

Clever idea about using a weight and penetrating oil too. But again, gotta be going the correct direction.