PDA

View Full Version : EEE Ultra Shine question

Michael Costa
03-09-2019, 1:10 AM
I'm pretty much down to the bottom of my 250mL can of EEE. Its older and doesnt have the creamy consistency it once had. It's now sort of clay-like chunkish. Not sure how to describe it. Can I add a little water to this stuff to get it back to it's normal consistency? Another solvent perhaps?maybe even add a little Shellawax to it? I dunno.

John K Jordan
03-09-2019, 8:26 AM
I'm pretty much down to the bottom of my 250mL can of EEE. Its older and doesnt have the creamy consistency it once had. It's now sort of clay-like chunkish. Not sure how to describe it. Can I add a little water to this stuff to get it back to it's normal consistency? Another solvent perhaps?maybe even add a little Shellawax to it? I dunno.

I've never used it but it appears to be polishing compound blended into wax of some sort. The smell when fresh might provide a clue to the solvent.

This page suggests a method to rejuvenate: gently heat, melt, stir, and thin with turpentine.
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm

JKJ

Michael Costa
03-09-2019, 2:26 PM
Thank you.

Reed Gray
03-10-2019, 1:19 PM
There are a bunch of this type of compounds out now. They have some pumice in them and a variety of waxes and some have oils too. The old Kiwi neutral shoe polish is carnuba wax with some turpentine as a solvent. There are some that use walnut oil. No idea what the solvents are in your stuff. Like John said, if there is any smell to it, that would help...

robo hippy

Wes Henson
03-10-2019, 1:26 PM
I added a little mineral spirits to my can and was about to make a slurry

Mike Nathal
03-10-2019, 7:20 PM
There are a bunch of this type of compounds out now. They have some pumice in them and a variety of waxes and some have oils too. The old Kiwi neutral shoe polish is carnuba wax with some turpentine as a solvent. There are some that use walnut oil. No idea what the solvents are in your stuff. Like John said, if there is any smell to it, that would help...

robo hippy
Reed are you sure about that Kiwi comment? The reason i ask is that I had heard Kiwi neutral was the same as Renaissance wax -- a microcrystalline wax ( whatever that is, but not carnauba)

John K Jordan
03-10-2019, 8:29 PM
Reed are you sure about that Kiwi comment? The reason i ask is that I had heard Kiwi neutral was the same as Renaissance wax -- a microcrystalline wax ( whatever that is, but not carnauba)

I heard that too. But I found a review on shoe polishes that said "Kiwi is made from a "... blend of many waxes including their highly perfected carnauba wax".
This is not from a technical document. https://nicershoes.com/best-shoe-polishes-reviewed/

I have no idea how you perfect carnauba wax.

JKJ

Richard Coers
03-10-2019, 9:37 PM
The MSDS says it's 40% Aliphatic hydrocarbon when new. That's a lot of solvent!

Tom Wilson66
03-10-2019, 10:16 PM
I have some EEE that had hardened in the can and added turpentine to it. That brought it back to where it can be used again. Had to let it set for a while to allow the turps to work.

Reed Gray
03-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Can't remember when I heard about the Kiwi wax, but don't think the fancy 'microcrystalline' stuff was around then. From some older than me timer..... They may have changed it by now.

robo hippy

John K Jordan
03-12-2019, 9:47 PM
I have some EEE that had hardened in the can and added turpentine to it. That brought it back to where it can be used again. Had to let it set for a while to allow the turps to work.

I thought I'd never used it, but today when looking for something else I found mostly full EEE on the shelf so I evidently did use it at one time. It is in need of the turpentine treatment too. Or maybe I'll just put it back and forget about it for some more years.

JKJ

Mick Fagan
03-12-2019, 11:32 PM
I thought I'd never used it, but today when looking for something else I found mostly full EEE on the shelf so I evidently did use it at one time. It is in need of the turpentine treatment too. Or maybe I'll just put it back and forget about it for some more years.

JKJ

I've use EEE quite a lot; in cooler months here, it looks a bit on the hard and dry side in low temperatures, say below 5ºC (41ºF). Once things warm up, it can be almost a liquid and certainly is runny at 45ºC (115ºF).

Just a thought, but you lot up there are coming off a winter, with cooler temperatures, this could have a bearing on the condition of various EEE tubs around your country side.

I've never owned a tub of EEE that became really old, sort of use it up; if you know what I mean.

Mick.