PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first show

Tony Sizemore
12-06-2005, 9:32 PM
Well tomorrow is my big day… The company my wife works for has a fall craft fair on site and I forked out the $10 for a spot. I have decided to take anything I would sign my name to as a possible sale item. I have turned almost nonstop for the last 2 day’s trying to get a couple of thing done I.E the fly house’s, and a glue up or two. Pricing has been the hardest part and I know I have under priced everything, but I think that will come with time and confidence in my work. (At least it did with my Cabinet business) I hope all think good thoughts for me tomorrow, but also keep <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Forest</st1:place> in your thought. He is living all of our worst night mares. I’m think of ya buddy!
Here is what I am taking.

Gary DeWitt
12-06-2005, 9:48 PM
Nice stuff, Tony. Good luck at the show, keep us posted how it came out.

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 9:50 PM
Good luck, Tony ! You have some great turnings there and should do well.:)

John Hart
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Good Luck Tony!!! Looks like you have a wonderful selection that will probably be gone! Let us know how it all goes:) :)

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Tony, by the looks of your selections, I think you'll do just fine! A good variety with some unique characteristics throughout.:) Good luck and let us know how you make out!:) :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
looks like some nice turnings Tony!
You should do well

Bill Stevener
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I have decided to take anything I would sign my name to as a possible sale item. I have turned almost nonstop for the last 2 day’s trying to get a couple of thing done I.E the fly house’s, and a glue up or two. Here is what I am taking.

Hay Tony, hope you have a great show, most of all have fun.
I sure would hate to see what you can do in a week :D .
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Good Luck Tony! Hope you do well!:D

Tony Sizemore
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I still can't believe I am going someplace and may have people pay me for what I do for fun. I haven't been turning very long... hell I started around fathers day of this year and I feel like I know so little. I am going to have fun, talk to allot of people (there are about 2000 people where my wife works) and have a free lunch! Can go wrong there!
By the way can I tell you all how wonderful my wife is. She is printing pictures and Business cards for as I type this. She has let me just do what I've needed to to get ready (turning until 10 or 12 at night) and she didn't even freak out when I spent $300 of turning stock last Sat! (about half of that was for Xmas for her family but that is a post for another day.)
Thanks again and I will let everyone know tomorrow night how I did. If I get all the money counted! LOL :D

Chip Peterson
12-07-2005, 7:21 AM
Tony, I wish you luck on your show. It sounds as though you and I are on similar pathes. I haven't been turning for very long either, and my bride and I had our first show last weekend. She uses her Jet mini to make our smaller and mid-sized items, and my Powermatic cranks out the big stuff. "The couple that turns together..."

Anyway, our show was a big one. Attendance estimates were 10k+ over the two days. It was also expensive. It was our first one, and we decided to go for broke (hopefully not) on it. Anyway, not meaning to brag, but we exceeded our expectations! It was so much fun getting paid to do what we enjoy so much. Hearing people say "Wow!" about my huge Jatoba platter (that didn't sell) was a real ego boost.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I wish you luck and much success. Keep a smile on your face, and engage your customers. Your work is worth the money you are asking for, and even more. Don't forget that!

Oh, by the way, I just joined the Creek. I've been watching for awhile now on both the flat side and now the round side. Thank you to all of you for helping me become a better woodworker!

Raymond Overman
12-07-2005, 7:29 AM
Good luck Tony! Hope you come home empty handed and full pocketed!

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:53 AM
Very nice selection of turnings.. Hope all goes well at the show.

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 6:44 AM
Best of luck Tony. I hope you sell all of you turnings, they look great!