PDA

View Full Version : Glue

Ed Henderson
03-06-2019, 7:14 PM
I just came in from the garage/shop,,passing through after taking garbage out,, and noticed my bottle of glue sitting on a bench at the back of the shop. It's a large bottle of Lee Valley cabinetmakers glue that I bought back in 2006-2007 about 1/4 full. It's been out there all winter and probably frozen. Happens every year. I do have a smaller bottle I bought last year in my basement shop. Usually when planning a project for indoors I buy new glue. But I will grab the old stuff instead of running to the store.
I keep using the old bottle for odd projects and have never had a problem. I do have some deck reconstruction planned that will require lengthening stringers/joists using glue and screws.

Should I be concerned about this old glue's reliability after all these years of freezing and thawing?

Ed

Jim Becker
03-06-2019, 8:02 PM
It's not going to have much impact on your deck project because that's not glue intended to be used for exterior applications. :) That said, given the age of the flue and the freezing cycle, it probably makes sense to replace it...mostly because of the former, IMHO.

Lee Schierer
03-06-2019, 9:27 PM
By your post your glue is 12-13 years old. Would you want to risk a joint failure for about $16 worth of glue. I would recommend buying smaller sized containers every 2-3 years and being sure your glue is going to be fairly fresh.