PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Tool Measure

Gary Campbell
03-06-2019, 4:26 PM
It is still in testing, but seems to show real promise. https://youtu.be/WHXI_vGm_Ug

bobby milam
03-06-2019, 6:36 PM
Very nice job. Will like to keep an eye on testing.

Jim Becker
03-06-2019, 7:58 PM
Very kewel!

David Falkner
03-06-2019, 9:27 PM
That's pretty slick, Gary! And a very smooth running machine, too.

David

Gary Campbell
03-11-2019, 5:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate! It's been a fun project.

In response to a number of emails, I will not be selling this as a CNC accessory, but will instead use them as a tool measure device on my "Ultimate Woodworking Machine" routers and as a tool measure and digitizing "probe" on my SideWinder CNC wood lathes.

Imagine popping a spindle in the chuck, probing it and being able to "copycat" that profile in a few minutes.

Martin Wasner
03-12-2019, 1:55 PM
That's really neat. No risk of damaging pointed tooling on a touch off pad either. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as standard on larger machines.

I would say it needs to be larger to accommodate larger heads or tools.

Mark Bolton
03-12-2019, 3:38 PM
It already is available in the non-woodworking world but then you get into separate tool measure devices (measuring in tenths).

My auto tool setter has a hard HDPE or Phenolic button on the top so when I do an auto tool height with a super sharp tool (single flute, single flute insert V bit) I do tend to get a bit of a false reading. The super sharp point will penetrate the plastic slightly. My regular tool setter has an aluminum face but still a plunger (like a touch probe) and its much more accurate but its way more accurate if you dial the feed down very slow.

Depending on the accuracy this would be the end all be all for me. The only large cutters I use are fly cutters and dead accurate tool height is not critical with those for me as they are for spoil board or slab surfacing.

Bummer wont be available as an add on but maybe with enough poking Gary will cave lol.

Peter Christensen
03-12-2019, 3:59 PM
A question out of curiosity. Does it only measure the tool projection or can it also measure the diameter too?

Gary Campbell
03-12-2019, 4:20 PM
I assume that if the proper macro was written it could measure the diameter.

Peter Christensen
03-12-2019, 5:06 PM
Thank you. I used to work in an aerospace machining plant. The cutter compensations had to be added for resharpened tools. Done automatically it would have saved a lot of tiger errors that resulted in expensive scrap.

Mick Simon
03-12-2019, 6:06 PM
Very nice job, Gary. I'm impressed by the speed of it.

We used a laser tool probe on our 5 axis machines when I was with MultiCam. Very precise and no chance of tip damage.

Martin Wasner
03-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Depending on the accuracy this would be the end all be all for me. The only large cutters I use are fly cutters and dead accurate tool height is not critical with those for me as they are for spoil board or slab surfacing.

I was thinking some C axis tooling gets large in a hurry, and measuring cope and stick heads when you want to go the easy route on curved door parts.

Mark Bolton
03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
I was thinking some C axis tooling gets large in a hurry, and measuring cope and stick heads when you want to go the easy route on curved door parts.

No doubt. Dead accuracy and speed gained would be phenomenal especially if the setups are changed relatively frequently.