PDA

View Full Version : Which wood species holds up best to harsh AZ heat and sunlight?

Michael Costa
03-06-2019, 3:43 PM
I can find plenty of info as far as wet conditions, mold, rot, bugs, etc. but nothing on sunlight and UV durability.

Bob Vaughan
03-06-2019, 4:00 PM
A lot will depend on your expectations in "long term" durability. I figure the most you'll get is five years before the exposed surface has deteriorated to looking like firewood. The best UV resistant finish for any wood is bark. Wood shouldn't be taken for granite.

Jesse Brown
03-06-2019, 4:20 PM
Wood shouldn't be taken for granite.

If this is an intentional spoonerism, then brilliant!

Tom Bender
03-10-2019, 7:37 PM
As our spoonerista says, the finish will not survive and the surface will turn grey and rough. But a thick piece of almost any wood will not rot anytime soon if it is dry. I like Oak.

Derek Cohen
03-11-2019, 1:29 AM
I can find plenty of info as far as wet conditions, mold, rot, bugs, etc. but nothing on sunlight and UV durability.

Some woods definitely do hold up better to UV, such as Teak. Here in Western Australia, timbers such as Jarrah, resists termites and white ants, but even so, if left without a finish, they weather to a grey colour. This can be held back for about 2 years before the finish must be renewed. Frequent renewal of a UV-protective finish is vital.

On the Western Red Cedar windows and exterior doors on our home, the finish of choice is a two pack Sikkens (basecoat and UV protector).

Regards from Perth

Derek