PDA

View Full Version : Posting of a Turned Lamp

Edward E Wilson Jr
12-06-2005, 8:23 PM
OK:

This is the first time that I have tried to post a thread. Also the first time of attaching an image.

Have done a couple of lamps lately, but am only going to attach 1 for now to see if I can do it.

Lamp was made from 4 woods, plus the maple core. In this lamp I used mahogany, birds eye maple, cherry and Black Walnut. I glue the woods together around the maple core.

Well, lets see if I can load the image.

David Fried
12-06-2005, 8:31 PM
Ed,

Very nice! I like the woods and the finish. What did you use as a finish?
Did you leave a channel for the wiring when you glued up the stock or did you drill it out? Thanks in advance.

Dave Fried

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 8:33 PM
Your image loaded just fine, Ed and, that is one cool lamp!!!:) Nice job. Real interesting, to say the least. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the pre-turned piece, in order to get a better idea of the glue-up sequence, would you? Regardless of that, it's very neat! Now, don't go hiding it with a huge shade or something like that!:D :cool:

Edward E Wilson Jr
12-06-2005, 8:34 PM
Used WinWax Antique Oil Finish. Put 4 coats one, 1 each day.

I now drill out the centers after I have finished the body of the lamp. First one I did, about 3 or 4 years ago now, I made a hollow for the wires. Drilling out is much easier.

Ed

Edward E Wilson Jr
12-06-2005, 8:40 PM
Here are some pictures of a glued up piece. Does not show very much. The one displayed with the finished lamp probably gives the best clue.

Ed

Bob Noles
12-06-2005, 9:29 PM
Ed,

WOW... that lamp is spectacular!

Now I am even more anxious for my lathe to arrive. Just checked Amazon tracking and it shows they attempted deliver today after my office closed for the day. Just maybe the Driver will show up first thing in the morning :D :rolleyes: :D

Thanks so much for sharing with us Ed. That is one fine looking project.

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 9:40 PM
Here are some pictures of a glued up piece. Does not show very much. The one displayed with the finished lamp probably gives the best clue.

Ed

Thanks for the pics, Ed! Man, you sure you have enough clamps on that glue-up?:) Good and solid, I'll bet! Again, very nice results!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 9:44 PM
Very nice piece Ed. Very original. Great form, great finish.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2005, 9:46 PM
Ed, excellent first post....excellent first picture attachment and beautiful lamp! Looks like a 3-in-1 gloat to me!

John Hart
12-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Nicely done Ed!!! I'm surprised that we don't see many lamps and you've certainly set the bar....Both on this one and in the other thread. Love the ornaments too! Sure look forward to seeing more!!

Ed Scolforo
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Ed: I used to go out with her! Somebody put her on a pedestal. She was the light of my life! Nicely done! Ed

Carole Valentine
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Ed,

WOW... that lamp is spectacular!

Now I am even more anxious for my lathe to arrive. Just checked Amazon tracking and it shows they attempted deliver today after my office closed for the day. Just maybe the Driver will show up first thing in the morning :D :rolleyes: :D

Thanks so much for sharing with us Ed. That is one fine looking project.

Awww, man! Doesn't that tick you off??? UPS is running really late this time of year. You better hang around tomorrow or they may send it back!:eek:

Carole Valentine
12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Welcome Ed! That is a mighty fine lamp. I haven't attemped anything like that yet. Now that you're here and know how to post pics, we will expect more!:D

Bill Stevener
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Very nice looking lamp Ed. Always fun to build and turn.
Thanks for showing,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 7:34 AM
Nice lamp, Ed! My wife has been after me to make some lamps. I may need to give you a holler one of these days soon...:)

Thanks for the pictures!