PDA

View Full Version : Router table recommendations

Todd Leback
03-06-2019, 2:37 PM
I've never had a decent router table setup, and I'm thinking of investing in one. See below for guidelines:

1. I've got about 6 sq. ft of space I can devote to it.
2. I'm wondering if there is a smallish shaper that can take router bits that anyone would recommend.
3. It would be nice to have either a sliding arm or something that can take a sliding arm for doing cope ends of rail and stile bits.
EDIT: 4. We're super slammed right now and I don't really have time to make something. I would prefer to buy it, to be honest.

We tend not to make our own cabinet doors, and I've got a moulding machine that I use for millwork and profiles; I've found it's a faster, more accurate way to run beaded face frame stock, for instance, rather than a router table setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either (router table or shaper). I figure I can probably spend somewhere in the 3,000 range.

Thanks!

Ed Gibbons
03-06-2019, 3:13 PM
I made the one from New Yankee Workshop designed by Norm Abrams. It has served me very well.

Jacques Gagnon
03-06-2019, 5:49 PM
Todd,

A few questions that may help others to provide feedback:

- do you have access to 3 phase power?
- do you want new equipment only or are you willing to buy used equipment?
- would you qualify your need as high production or occasional use?

If I interpret your message correctly, time seems to be of the essence; what is your timeframe (this could impact your decision on the new vs used issue).

Hope this will help generate useful feedback,

J.

Todd Leback
03-06-2019, 5:56 PM
Todd,

A few questions that may help others to provide feedback:

- do you have access to 3 phase power?
- do you want new equipment only or are you willing to buy used equipment?
- would you qualify your need as high production or occasional use?

If I interpret your message correctly, time seems to be of the essence; what is your timeframe (this could impact your decision on the new vs used issue).

Hope this will help generate useful feedback,

J.

I do have 3 phase power, but aside from some big items most of the stuff I've bought has been 220. Time's not super of the essence -- we've got some pull profiles to do that would be handy having a router table setup. At this point it would be occasional use, but I don't want to buy junk. And I typically prefer to buy stuff new, when possible. Again, that's mostly convenience. I don't really have the time to rehab/fix an older tool.

Jacques Gagnon
03-06-2019, 6:12 PM
My setup is a Jessem Mast-R-Lift with the sliding arm. I have a Makita RF1100 installed permanently in it. I like the above-the-table adjustment and the resolution of the micro adjustments. Other manufacturers offer similar products and I expect others to pitch in with their feedback.

This set up has served me well - I am a hobbyist, not a production operation.

Regards,

J.

mark mcfarlane
03-06-2019, 6:58 PM
I love my Incra positioner and lift with magnetic inserts, Incra clean sweep, Jessem hold downs,...

but the aluminum build probably would not hold up well in a commercial shop.

Very accurate setup with super smooth micro adjustments. Dust collection through both the fence and the Clean Sweep router housing is very good.

All-in was about $2000 with a 3HP PC router.

Brian W Evans
03-07-2019, 11:09 AM
I have a Bench Dog cast iron top with woodpecker prl-v2 lift and woodpecker fence. I also got a Bench Dog cabinet on clearance (now discontinued). I believe Bench Dog only makes steel cabinets now.

I really, really like the cast iron top and wouldn't even consider anything else. I like the Woodpecker fence and lift but I would take a serious look at Jessem or Incra as well.

If you go with a cast iron top, steel cabinet, Jessem/Incra/WP lift, Jessem/Incra/WP fence, and big PC 7518 router, you should come in around $2k and have something that will take quite a beating.