PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Scroll Saw?

Charlie Plesums
12-06-2005, 8:09 PM
What type of scroll saw would you recommend, for a crafty adult with several kids? Looking for good quality, but a starter (not professional) unit.

Richard Wolf
12-06-2005, 8:22 PM
The new Dewalt gets pretty high marks at a reasonable price.

Richard

Ed Lang
12-06-2005, 8:32 PM
DeWalt. I have one and love it. We also have two Hawks but that will be out of the starter saw range.... Grow into them later if you like.

Bob Noles
12-06-2005, 9:19 PM
I personally feel that the Dewalt is the one to have from all I have heard, but Delta is the one I could afford at the time and I am very happy with it.

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 9:32 PM
Dewalt 788, Charlie. I don't own one, but if I found the need, that's what I would likely buy based on many positive comments over the years in various forums and reviews. It's not the top machine in the business, but a great value. BTW, you can sometimes find a factory refurb for a very good price. ("New" warranty, etc.)

Frank Pellow
12-06-2005, 9:56 PM
Another vote here for the DeWalt 788. They are made for DeWalt by Sommerville Design and Manufacturing who also make my Excalibur EX30 Saw (a great saw but much more expensive than the DeWalt).

By the way Sommerville is located in Pikering Ontario, about 30 kilometres from my house.

Burt Waddell
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Another vote for the DeWalt. It's a super saw for the price.

Dave Lehnert
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I own the Dewalt and it is the best saw no matter the cost. IMHO. FYI.. The Dewalt is now made overseas not in Canada as the early models. Same saw just built in a different place

Frank Pellow
12-07-2005, 7:03 AM
FYI.. The Dewalt is now made overseas not in Canada as the early models.
I guess that it was inevitable. Thanks for letting me know.

I own the Dewalt and it is the best saw no matter the cost. IMHO.
I would dispute this. The DeWalt is, no doubt a great saw, but when it is comparee component by component against the Excalibur EX30, the DeWalt ends up behind on all counts. I know because I spent a lot of time comparing them before buying the Excalibur.

And, my Excalibur is delinately made nearby.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-07-2005, 7:08 AM
Resist the temptation to go cheap...as in Ryobi. DAMHIKT. :(

KC

William Lewis
12-07-2005, 7:40 AM
Dewalt,
Have had mine about 6 years and am very happy with it. Look around and you can find it in a package deal, you get the saw and stand sometimes a stool in a packaged deal. That's the way mine came.

Bill

Keel McDonald
12-07-2005, 7:50 AM
No matter which brand you go with, I would suggest getting a model which uses the blades with a "T" style (pin end) that hooks into the saw. I currently have a Delta that uses a "clamp" style blade. I hate it! I can never seem to get the blade in straight. Just my opinion.

Ed Lang
12-07-2005, 7:56 AM
The "T" or pin type of blade is sure easy to just hook into the blade holder but it cannot be put into a small hole for fine fret work. You must have a pinless blade to do fine inside work.

Steven Shelby
12-07-2005, 9:22 AM

KC

I would have to agree with that. Please don't ask me how I know!

tod evans
12-07-2005, 9:34 AM
you can`t go wrong with hegner. .02 tod

Charlie Plesums
12-07-2005, 11:24 PM

KC
Please don't tell my wife. I got her the Ryobi to see if she liked working with the scroll saw (she does, but only a few hours per year). Not a bad saw for well under $100, rather than well over $400 for the DeWalt. Her sister-in-law (who hasn't seen the Ryobi) wants one. Looks like she will be getting a DeWalt based on the advice here. My wife probably won't see it until next summer, so I probably have another 6 months before I have to replace the Ryobi. Unless you tell her. ;)