PDA

View Full Version : Euro Overarm guard/dust collection options

Brian Holcombe
03-05-2019, 2:56 PM
Believe it or not I'm going to shoe-horn a sliding table saw into my micro-workshop. So I'm planning out the dust collection now and thinking that an overarm guard/collector is nice to have.

This is an older saw so it doesn't have anything in that regard currently.

Wondering who out there is making something which could be retrofitted. Option B is to then make my own, but I'd be curious to know what you guys like or dislike about certain types.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2019, 3:07 PM
Brian, this is what I did.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251067-Installing-an-overarm-guard-on-a-Table-Saw&highlight=overarm+guard

Regards, Rod.

Carl Beckett
03-05-2019, 3:50 PM
I will watch and learn.

Started a similar thread not long ago. Havent pulled the trigger on anything yet.

They guy that had the saw before me had 2.5" hose going to the overhead guard and felt it did a great job. If so, this might be an option: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TSGUARD.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzp6y8e7r4AIVhoKzCh0 XXQDcEAQYBSABEgIJmvD_BwE

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2019, 3:54 PM
I will watch and learn.

Started a similar thread not long ago. Havent pulled the trigger on anything yet.

They guy that had the saw before me had 2.5" hose going to the overhead guard and felt it did a great job. If so, this might be an option: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TSGUARD.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzp6y8e7r4AIVhoKzCh0 XXQDcEAQYBSABEgIJmvD_BwE

Hi Brian, I also use a 2.5" hose from a ceiling port.

That lets me use the Excelsior overarm guard or the stock Euro guard.........Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
03-05-2019, 5:15 PM
Oooh...I like this development at Club Holcombe :) I'm also interested in what folks say about building an overarm as that would help me get back to actually using a guard to improve collection. My current guard is inefficient and also attaches to the riving knife, making for some tight situations with narrower work, not to mention required removal for non-through cuts.

brent stanley
03-05-2019, 5:37 PM
This is the one to which all others are compared.....with the price point to match.

https://www.scosarg.com/suva-s91-narrow-circular-saw-guard-complete

B

Brian Holcombe
03-05-2019, 6:07 PM
Thanks Jim!

Much appreciated fellas! Brent, that Suva looks like the ticket. I may build something similar or just buy that.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2019, 6:29 PM
Felder saws in Canada come with the Suva style guard with both side pieces on saws larger than 12 inches. It’s a nice guard......Rod

John Kee
03-05-2019, 6:46 PM
Brian if you don't want to re engineer everything, that's a joke by the way, the Grizzly is what I have suggested to others as almost plug and play. IMHO and experience don't waste your time with a smaller than 4" port if you have a good DC, unless you want plug a vacuum into it for its higher air speed/suction. Good luck with your adventure.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Universal-Overarm-Blade-Guard-For-Table-Saws/T10113

brent stanley
03-05-2019, 9:30 PM
Thanks Jim!

Much appreciated fellas! Brent, that Suva looks like the ticket. I may build something similar or just buy that.

The nice thing about the Suvas is they've been tested to meet standards so you know they work/will work. Shark guard also sells a system that can be made into an overhead guard too.

B

Joe Calhoon
03-05-2019, 9:46 PM
The Panhans safety catalog has a few. Some are Suva I think.
http://www.panhans.de/pan_en/images/si-tec_5_2018_eng_web.pdf

The overhead guard is nice for getting the dust the blade throws. On dust cuts where not taking a full kerf you still get some dust.
you want one that can be moved out of the way quickly.

John Kee
03-05-2019, 11:45 PM
The Panhans safety catalog has a few. Some are Suva I think.
http://www.panhans.de/pan_en/images/si-tec_5_2018_eng_web.pdf

The overhead guard is nice for getting the dust the blade throws. On dust cuts where not taking a full kerf you still get some dust.
you want one that can be moved out of the way quickly.

Great catalog to add to the collection Joe thanx. The Midi Swivel device on page 44 caught my eye, getting to gimpy to be lifting 4 x 8 and 4 x 10 sheets of MDF and MPC.

Kevin Jenness
03-06-2019, 8:01 AM
The Excalibur/Excelsior guard is pretty decent and easy to slide or pivot away when necessary.

It's not hard to make one, though it will probably cost as much if you value your time.

Greg Parrish
03-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I put the grizzly one on my Felder. Seems nice for the price.

Brian Holcombe
03-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Thanks gents, appreciate the insights!

Joe, that is a great catalog, very helpful. I agree, something that gets out of the way quickly would be ideal.

John, totally agree, getting exhausting on engineering so many projects. I want to wrap up the Maka before I take anything else on and this is something that I'd like to do rather quickly after getting the saw (won't be immediate).

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2019, 1:01 PM
Yeah, that would be a back saver.

I noticed your band saw circle jig in that catalogue.

The only thing I have is the Contermax work holder, it's great.......Rod.

Mike Eshleman
03-06-2019, 1:17 PM
When I got my slider I was underwhelmed with the Euroguard/dust collection on the saw. I made an overhead system using the Excelsior guard and attached it to the roof trusses with a telescoping steel frame. This has provided good dust collection and the ability to quickly raise it out of the way.

I apologize for the rotated photos; no matter how I do it, they always end up rotated. Any suggestions?

Mike

John Kee
03-06-2019, 2:29 PM
Thanks gents, appreciate the insights!

Joe, that is a great catalog, very helpful. I agree, something that gets out of the way quickly would be ideal.

John, totally agree, getting exhausting on engineering so many projects. I want to wrap up the Maka before I take anything else on and this is something that I'd like to do rather quickly after getting the saw (won't be immediate).

Brian, thoroughly enjoying both the Maka and Omga threads. Great to see the info passed around from knowledgeable sources.

Brian Holcombe
03-06-2019, 2:54 PM
Thanks John!

Chris Parks
03-08-2019, 2:46 AM
When I got my slider I was underwhelmed with the Euroguard/dust collection on the saw. I made an overhead system using the Excelsior guard and attached it to the roof trusses with a telescoping steel frame. This has provided good dust collection and the ability to quickly raise it out of the way.

I apologize for the rotated photos; no matter how I do it, they always end up rotated. Any suggestions?

Mike

Thanks Mike, would you be able to take a photo with the guard lowered and the outrigger cross cut fence next to it showing the clearance between them?

Mike Eshleman
03-09-2019, 1:11 AM
Chris,
The guard is 5/8" from the end of the crosscut fence. In this position the blade will tiltto 45 degrees without repositioning the guard. The guard is also long enough to cover the scoring blade.

Mike

Chris Parks
03-09-2019, 2:04 AM
Thanks Mike, I have to take the plunge and make something I guess. If I bought the entire guard and support arm which I don't need it would cost me about AUD1000 to import it so that is not a goer. if I could buy just the guard I might be tempted at importing one.

Mike Eshleman
03-09-2019, 1:01 PM
You can buy just the guard and other parts from Grizzly in the states or through Marson Equipment in Canada. Grizzly has a parts diagram that you can order parts from directly. King, which handles the Excelsior guard, has a parts list but will not sell parts directly. I had to order through Marson, who got the parts and then sold them to me. I would recommend using Grizzly to avoid the hassle.

Mike