PDA

View Full Version : Shop layout software

Monte Milanuk
03-05-2019, 2:28 PM
In the past I'd played with the Grizzly shop layout planner (https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner#), taking advantage of their pre-defined tool models. More recently, though, it seems to be less functional in that it requires Flash (which is just about functionally *dead* on the Internet) and it doesn't seem to scale well to modern hi-res displays. Case in point, it opens up a fairly small window on my Chromebook. While the window itself can be maximized, the 'working area' cannot. The layout inside the working area can be zoomed in/out as needed, but it's like working on an 11x17" sheet of paper through a 4x6" cutout.

Option #2 seems to be SketchUp Online, which does work pretty well with a ChromeBook, although it may be a bit more involved than I really want/need for shop layout.

Anyone here aware of any 'fixes' for working with the Grizzly tool? Or better off to just suck it up and work on improving my SketchUp skillz? ;)

And no, for the luddites out there... I'm not doing it by hand on paper, with or without little cutouts of shop tools. Just... no. :D

John Isgren
03-05-2019, 3:14 PM
I used Visio to layout my shop

Monte Milanuk
03-05-2019, 3:29 PM
I used Visio to layout my shop

Downloaded, or online?

Mike Davison
03-05-2019, 3:48 PM
I use Sketchup. There are plenty of models of common, and many not so common, woodworking machines available. Works great.

glenn bradley
03-05-2019, 3:48 PM
A search for Linux-based Visio alternatives yields a few options. Your Chrome OS is an “UX” derivative so they may work.

John Isgren
03-05-2019, 5:16 PM
I purchased my copy through Microsoft’s Home
Use Program

Matt Day
03-05-2019, 5:22 PM
Sketchup here too. Nothing too fancy - measure and layout the shop as a components, then create some 2d components roughly the size of the machine and move them around.

Larry Frank
03-05-2019, 7:46 PM
I did mine old school. I drew out my shop on a large poster board and then made machine , tool benches , etc from sticky notes and moved them around.

Don Bullock
03-06-2019, 12:05 AM
I used a home design program by Punch on my Macintosh. The one I used has now been upgraded and the cost is higher than it was back when I first designed my shop. There were templates for most tools that came with the program and others were available online. In addition to layout of tools the program also had a feature for designing the electrical. BTW — When I say designed that’s exactly what I mean. I designed my shop from scratch. All I had to start with was the maximum dimensions and the building code which was very limiting in my area.