PDA

View Full Version : lasering veneer

Shawn Oberdorf
12-06-2005, 7:44 PM
Anyone have the settings handy to laser a picture into plain old veneer?
I want to make bookmarks for our cub scout pack for christmas, and since I have to work this weekend, might as well play with the etcher :)
Just trying to avoid wasting some expensive veneer setting it up.
Shawn

Shaddy Dedmore
12-06-2005, 8:18 PM
Can't give you settings (other than fast and low power). But there's a birch ply that's 1/64" & 1/32" that should work as a bookmark, and maybe cheaper to practice on if you want to use the other more expensive veneer after you figure out a design.

(Here's a design (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/Bookmark.cdr) that I made, you can add text/clipart to the spot on the top)
Looks like this
http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/BookMarks.jpg

Shaddy

Shari Loveless
12-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey there guys,
Just curious. Could you use the Rowmark 1/16" plastic for bookmarks. It's a little bit flexible and would engrave like a dream. Just wondered if anyone has tried this. I think I have a sample piece laying around somewhere. If I can find it, I'll give it a try.
Shari

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 4:04 PM
Shari,

That's thick enough that it would leave a dent in the pages. You can do leather for bookmarks though, or even fabric, denim works well. Or two pieces of the Rowark Laserlights stuck together (adhesive to adhesive).

Barbara Buhse
12-07-2005, 5:38 PM
Hey there guys,
Just curious. Could you use the Rowmark 1/16" plastic for bookmarks. It's a little bit flexible and would engrave like a dream. Just wondered if anyone has tried this. I think I have a sample piece laying around somewhere. If I can find it, I'll give it a try.
Shari

I have used the rowmark plastic for a bookmark, and it did engrave very nice. I used a picture of a flower and the persons initials on copper/black.
The friend I gave it to said it broke, but I think my design was flawed, so make sure you use a design that will not put too much stress on the part you need ot bend... (the design someone posted here looks much better than the one I had)
OR you can make the bookmark with just a slit/hole in the top, and use a ribbon that sticks out the top of the page.

Barbara

Shari Loveless
12-07-2005, 7:28 PM
Barbara,
That's what I was thinking. Just put a little tassel through a hole in the end. No need for anything to bend. Still haven't found my Rowmark sample piece yet, but now I'm anxious to give it a try for sure. I like the sound of the copper/black. If it works, I'll post a pic. If not :o .
Joe,
I would love to try some leather bookmarks but we don't have any sources around here for scraps to test out. Will put that on my list next time I'm going to the Valley. I'm always willing to try new ideas and techniques.
Shari

Shari Loveless
12-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Have any of you used flexi-brass for bookmarks? I was just on Rowmark's website and they said it could be vector cut with the laser. Since I've never used this, thought I'd ask all of you whether it would be worth ordering for experimentation. I only want a rectangle with a small hole for tassle (nothing to bend or break).
I did a couple of tests on the sample of LaserMark that I have. They came out ok, so now off to do some artwork for the real thing. I noticed after cutting it seemed a little soft and gummy. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? I masked it for cutting but noticed a small "halo" in a spot here and there under the tape and it won't come off. I used the 50W unit with Power 25/Speed 1.8/PPI 130. I didn't use the air assist; should I have?
I would really like to make some of these for a Quilt Camp I have coming up next month. Will need to get the "stuff" ordered if it will work.
H E L P :D
Thanks,
Shari

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2005, 9:25 AM
Shari,

Probably was too slow, on my 45 watt Epilog I use power 40, speed 30, frequency 500. I don't know what your machine's 1.8 speed translates to, on mine it's a percentage of maximum. The edges should not be soft and gummy but they do feel sticky, and that's normal. Air assist is not really needed for this material but I use it anyway when doing a lot of cutting, like a whole sheet.

Thomas Hempleman
12-17-2005, 2:37 AM
Shari... FlexiBrass is great stuff. I use it a lot instead of metal for engraved plates. It engraves and cuts with excellent results.
I have also used veneer to make bookmarks but they weren't very durable. Many of them eventually splintered with use. I use FlexiBrass, thin leather and thin wood (about 1/32") to make bookmarks