PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Smoke Detectors

Tom Bender
03-05-2019, 12:55 PM
We smelled fumes and thought it was the furnace since it had just started. It went away and we could find no cause. It had been inspected and given a thumbs up a few months ago. Decided to replace the smoke detectors (1985 vintage). Got new ones with CO detection. While installing and with mistake that had them bleating for a few minutes the cats went crazy. It seemed to be the voice was more maddening than the bleating. Smart cats I guess.

Dan Hulbert
03-05-2019, 2:09 PM
I'm surprised your smoke detectors lasted that long. The recommended service life is 10 years. When mine hit 11, they started beeping randomly. Replaced all 12 of them. No more 3 AM wake-ups.

Mike Henderson
03-05-2019, 2:15 PM
The new ones come with an integral 10 year battery. You can't even hook them up to AC power.

Mike

Jerome Stanek
03-05-2019, 4:02 PM
The new ones come with an integral 10 year battery. You can't even hook them up to AC power.

Mike

I just replaced some yesterday that still has the 9 volt batteries Kiddy brand. My daughters new house has hard wire units in it and one was bad and went off constantly

Ole Anderson
03-05-2019, 8:59 PM

Mike

Just installed 5 AC versions in my son's basement last week, all interconnected with 14-3. Four smoke only, one combo unit. All from HD and with 5 year battery backup. Yea, 90% of their detectors were battery only. I needed them interconnected and inspected during an electrical final.

Bill Dufour
03-06-2019, 9:42 AM
Several years ago California required CO detectors installed in all EXISTING houses.
Bill D

Aaron Rosenthal
03-08-2019, 1:26 PM
We're foster parents.
Part of our annual home inspection process is reviewing CO2 and smoke detector viability.