View Full Version : shaper cutter

Mark Turner
03-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Long time lurker but first time posting. Looking for a shaper cutter like this or any ideas of how to go about making this.
http://www.custom-cabinetry-design.com/image-files/building-cabinets-tip.jpg

Cary Falk
03-05-2019, 11:52 AM
My guess is a custom ground corrigated knife.

J.R. Rutter
03-05-2019, 12:05 PM
My guess is a custom ground corrigated knife.

Ding ding ding! I've had good experiences with CGG Schmidt on custom knives and the appropriate cutterheads, incl. smaller bore to run on shapers.

Mark Turner
03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply's. That's what I was thinking but I was not sure if anyone stocked a profile similar.

Mel Fulks
03-05-2019, 2:48 PM
When ordering a knife with half circles tell them you will not accept it with out "5 degree side clearance" . Otherwise some
will not do it. Without it you will start to get burn marks in the first twenty feet !

William Hodge
03-05-2019, 4:40 PM
That cut looks awkward. It would be easier to run it if you got a smaller head, and several knives to make up the profile. I would block the piece front and back with equal thickness wood, cope to match the profile to prevent tear out, and run it with a stock feeder mounted outboard. Finally, I hope the bottom of the piece gets cut off, and the knife maker would need to know to put a cutting edge on the bottom. If you don't tell them, they might make it square, and it will be smoking.

Joe Calhoon
03-05-2019, 10:04 PM
I think that will be a custom cutter for sure. Several companies do custom corrugated profiles to your design. We have had good luck with Hot Knives.

I do not like to hand feed anything with corrugated or any cutters taking a large bite. It’s all about work holding.

Here is a setup I made for shaping horns on double hung sash. The fixture clamps to the sliding table so you are safely away from the cutter.

Mark Turner
03-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Great idea for a jig.