PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding through

Steve Potter
03-05-2019, 8:57 AM
Can anyone tell me if General Finishes dye stains has the tendency to bleed into a top coat of Target's EM 6000 acrylic lacquer? Thanks

Robert Maloney
03-06-2019, 3:46 PM
I have used both together many times and have not noticed any problems. The only issue I had was when I sprayed a coat too heavy and you could see the dye in the run that was forming. Remember it is a "like on like" situation. Meaning a waterborne finish over a water base dye can redissolve the dye. If you are overly concerned you could always spray a light coat of shellac to lock down the dye, and it will add some warmth to your color.

Steve Potter
03-06-2019, 5:57 PM
Thank you, Robert.
I was thinking of applying a thin coat of shellac as a barrier coat but wasn't sure if that was the right answer. A 2lb. cut with denatured alcohol to 1:1 ratio?

Wayne Lomman
03-06-2019, 6:40 PM
Stains and finishes with the same base will always bleed together to some degree. It is not a fault to be avoided. It means they are compatible and therefore less prone to failure of adhesion between the stain and coating material. With all types of coating, spray a lighter, thinner coat first up, de-nib and then proceed with the required number of coats to complete the job. Cheers