PDA

View Full Version : Use your imagination

Joe Pelonio
12-06-2005, 5:59 PM
I just got a job making acrylic racks for holding little vials at hospitals. The leftover scrap will include 12,960 little circles of 1/4" clear acrylic, .602" diameter. Anybody think of a good use for them? It's hard to imagine that quantity but I'd guess it would fill a good sized bucket, and I'd hate to toss them.

Doug Shepard
12-06-2005, 6:22 PM
Tiddlywinks ?

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 6:34 PM
Joe, glued together, as in a stack of several inches high, I'll bet it would make for some interesting looking pen blanks (if someone has the patience for that.) CA glue would probably do the trick. Maybe???? :confused: :) :cool:

Shaddy Dedmore
12-06-2005, 7:01 PM
Seems like Rodney's lamp idea called for some acrylic washers, if you find a similar use, you could just put an 1/8" hole in the center as you cut them out and there you go.

Shaddy

Joe Pelonio
12-06-2005, 7:43 PM
Joe, glued together, as in a stack of several inches high, I'll bet it would make for some interesting looking pen blanks (if someone has the patience for that.) CA glue would probably do the trick. Maybe???? :confused: :) :cool:

If anyone wants some to try the pen turning let me know. I think the diameter is kind of small for a lamp though, plus adding the extra holes would add a lot of laser time. Tiddlywinks is not that far off, I though little kids might have fun with them but they're small enough to be swallowed so there goes that idea.

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 7:54 PM
Another idea might be to check with your local school district's art dept. I know our school district is really strapped financially and you'd be amazed what some of those instructors and kids can come up with! :) I can see them being used to make sun catchers and things like that. It wouldn't cost anything to check and you'd be doing your community a service.:) ...just a suggestion...:) :cool:

Rodne Gold
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I can't possibly think of a use for those without it being time consuming.(perhaps glue a magnet to the back and put a digi print on the front as a fridge magnet advertising your co? or give em to a bead shop?)
As to tossing stuff , we generate huge amounts of pex scrap and never really try to save it as it becomes a bit of a mission to find the right pieces and we end up with large amounts of "saved" scrap we never use. We don't sell ANY of our offcuts to other engravers in our area as we find they get cheap material and undercut us. We collect this and metal scrap and we have a co that comes once every few months , takes it away and sends us a cheque for it after sorting and weighing it , they recycle it.

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 9:23 AM
We collect this and metal scrap and we have a co that comes once every few months , takes it away and sends us a cheque for it after sorting and weighing it , they recycle it.
I wish I could find a place here, there was one that went out of business a few months before I got the laser. I'll try the school art idea, thanks.

David Harvey
12-08-2005, 6:54 AM
an idea...

remove the protective paper from the disc's...

then fill up a small fish bowl with the disc's...
add water and a few drops of food coloring....
Stir...
have the wife select and create an artificial floral arrangement for the bowl....
place in nearest window...

have a cup of coffee

Mark Singer
12-08-2005, 7:15 AM
Hospital vial fillers when vials are vacant:confused: