PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's Crib Part II

David Duke
12-06-2005, 5:56 PM
Well it may be going slow but things are finally coming together, for those of you who may of missed my last post I am building a baby crib for our first grandchild and am trying to chronicle my efforts. You can see the first thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26885&highlight=Ryan%27s+Crib

The following photos are as follows:
1. Drilling the 1/2" holes in the upper rails. I used the upper rail top template to hold the curved rails straight, taped the two together and drilled both at the same time.

2. As you can see here the rails don't come together all the way around (different radius), I knew better but got in a hurry and didn't slide in a back-up shim in the first hole and this being maple you know what happened.......yep a big splintered blow out on the back side. Another issue for me was that my forstner bit wasn't quite long enough and I had to get extremely close to the rail with my chuck.

3. This is a simple mortising jig I made to cut the slots for the slats in the back bottom rail.

4. Mortises came out pretty tight!!!

Thanks for looking!!!!!!

David Duke
12-06-2005, 5:57 PM
Finally some assembled photos!! All I like is the front drop gate and finishing so it won't be long.

Approximate time from rough material to this point 53 hrs.

Once again thanks for looking.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2005, 6:12 PM
David.....spendid work! That'll be passed down through generations. Besure to sign and date it so future generations will know who created it.

Bruce Page
12-06-2005, 6:17 PM
I love the arched rail, very cool design.
Definitely heirloom quality!

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 6:28 PM
That looks marvelous!!

Matt Crew
12-06-2005, 9:54 PM
Beautiful craftsmanship. Looks great. Thanks for letting us see your progress. Usually takes me that long to think about doing something, anything.;)

David Duke
12-07-2005, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the nice words, I hope to be able to post finished pics in a couple of weeks but it will be next March before any "action" shots will be available:D :D :D !!

tod evans
12-07-2005, 9:53 AM
david, nice work!

Roy Wall
12-07-2005, 9:59 AM
David,

That is very nice......beautiful curve work!!

Hey - on the router jig.....did you just mark the center of each mortise and align with center mark on the jig...then plough out?

Slick looking jig that has good adaptation!!

David Duke
12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
David,

That is very nice......beautiful curve work!!

Hey - on the router jig.....did you just mark the center of each mortise and align with center mark on the jig...then plough out?

Slick looking jig that has good adaptation!!

Yes I layed out the center line of each mortise with the layout lines on the upper rails so that I could be sure that they were inline. The jig is really simple to make and made cutting the mortises easy.

Bruce Page
12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the nice words, I hope to be able to post finished pics in a couple of weeks but it will be next March before any "action" shots will be available:D :D :D !!

Next March!?! David, you're planning way too far ahead!

David Duke
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Next March!?! David, you're planning way too far ahead!

Not really I still have a cradle, changing table, high chair and whatever SHMBO says we need all in the next 4 months:) . Since this is our first grandchild I plan on spoiling him REAL good:D :D !!! Beside I'm sure there is bound to be some TOOL I just have to have to make at least one of these;) .

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2005, 12:14 PM
David.....You're spoiling that grandchild even before it's born!:D I have 5 grandchildren....they're fun!