PDA

View Full Version : I just got a mailer from AARP

lowell holmes
03-04-2019, 12:44 PM
And it was addressed to Texas Motorcycle Rider. Now AARP members are mostly older people.

I am curious if any of you "old dogs" out there have motorcycles.
If I had one it probably be a Harley.

Wade Lippman
03-04-2019, 12:52 PM
I read recently that Harley is dying because all their customers are old and don't buy new motorcycles.

But to answer your question, I haven't been on a motorcycle in 50 years.

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-04-2019, 1:02 PM
Yep Harley is dying. Big and fat does not appeal to younger folk who want speed and lightweight. I live near the York PA Harley plant. The plant is now manned by some full time folks, but a lot of part time and seasonal employees. I rode a motor cycle for 12 years. I would not want a Harley. If I were in the market now, It would be a shaft drive touring bike, like BMW or Moto Guzzi, Had a 1967 Guzzi for 8 years loved it.

Rick Potter
03-04-2019, 1:14 PM
Had a half dozen, but no Harleys. Gave them up in my late 30's, because I realized I had too many obligations to the family.

As a fireman I scooped up dozens of bikers off the road. Interestingly, most were kids whose parents set them loose on crotch rockets.

I only remember two on Harleys. One was drunk and running from police, when he turned down a cul-de-sac with a chain link fence at the end. He bounced back a few feet after hitting it, with no major injuries. Typical drunk driver story.

The other was on a mountain road. I don't remember how he went down, but I do remember the quarter sized hole in his head, and being able to see his brain while he talked to us. I think he came out of it OK.

Neither was wearing a helmet.

Marty Gulseth
03-04-2019, 1:30 PM
I’ve ridden off and on for 45 years. Mostly on since ‘96. Big believer in training and recurrent training, but I admit I’m overdue. Now 72 y/o, I see the time coming when my reaction time and strength will force me off two wheels, but hopefully a few more years left. Own 2 BMWs, an ‘08 R1200RT primary rider and a ‘79 “traditional” BMW airhead which at the moment is in need of a bit of TLC but that is secondary to other more pressing projects.

Kev Williams
03-04-2019, 2:04 PM
I've always loved LOUD V8's and V-twins. I have another webpage opened up on Amazon checking out 12" glasspacks and $48 cat converters because I'm about to put true-dual sidepipes on my 2002 F-250... - Had a 26' Chaparral bowrider with Cap'ns Call sidepipes, I put them on an '84 Ford custom van, a '56 Ford F-100, several others-- I'd put them on the wife's '13 Mustang GT convert if she'd let me! :D

So you KNOW I have a Harley. Old '75 ironhead Sporty I bought in '92, had it all redone in '95, still looks just like this...
Only Harley I've ever owned-

Bought this '84 Aspencade 16 years ago--

Past bikes, bought a new Honda V-65 Magna in '83 when they first came out, sold it to my BIL, he still has it-
and I had a '75 Kawasaki 500 triple, major fast for a 500 but I hate 2-strokes ;)

--I'll be 65 in a few months, so I'm also getting all the old-fart mailers :)

Marshall Harrison
03-04-2019, 2:08 PM
Only been on a bike once or twice in my 62+ years though I have several friends that ride. and two that died on bikes.

AARP is too liberal for me so when I got to senior citizen status I went with AMAC.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2019, 2:16 PM
[QUOTE=lowell holmes;2905364][edited]

That URL opens up a Google mailbox.

Not sure about buying from much of the stuff that pops up there.

Most of my two wheel riding was done on a bicycle. That almost got me killed a couple of times. A few times on a motorcycle made me aware of how that much power might be the death of me. It has been about 40 years since riding on a two wheeled vehicle.

jtk

Tom M King
03-04-2019, 3:03 PM
I quit riding on the road in the 1970's, after seeing too many of my friends roll across the hood of some old lady's car that pulled out in front of them. At 68, the only motorcycle I own is a Honda 450rx. I used to have a couple of dirt bikes-one to play with, and one to ride around our place to keep check on things. This one does both at the flip of a switch.

Michael Weber
03-04-2019, 4:08 PM
I'm 72 and ride a honking big 1998 Honda Valkyrie (6 cylinders, 6 carbs, hot cam :rolleyes:) with a sidecar my wife loves. Yes, Harley is troubled for a variety of reasons most of which are their own doing. Decades of ignoring customer trends, overpriced vs the competition, stubborn commitment to decades old engine technology, bad reliability compared to competition. I could go on. A friend who rides a HD told me the H in the name stands for "Hundred dollar bill" because that was the minimum price just to go into one of the dealerships for anything. Having said all that I’d still consider one because other than Indian it’s getting hard to find cruiser style bikes.

Jim Andrew
03-04-2019, 7:46 PM
I am 67, and still have a Yamaha 250, as that is the smallest bike you could buy for years. See that Honda has brought back a 125 cub. Looks like the Honda 90's a lot of kids had when I was in high school. Would like one of those.

Thomas L Carpenter
03-04-2019, 7:56 PM
Last time was as a passenger on a 125CC in 1966. Went down in gravel and wound up with giant scrapes on both knees and elbows and hands and went into boot camp with them the next day. Not my idea of a good time.

Marshall Harrison
03-04-2019, 9:28 PM
Last time was as a passenger on a 125CC in 1966. Went down in gravel and wound up with giant scrapes on both knees and elbows and hands and went into boot camp with them the next day. Not my idea of a good time.

I bet. I can just imagine the grief your Drill Sergeant gave you.

Rich Engelhardt
03-05-2019, 4:36 AM
Bike?
Nope - wife won't let me have one.

She said I could have one if she could have a live in boyfriend.

I told her I was fine with that as long as the SOB mowed the yard & took out the garbage...

It took about three days for the swelling to go down & I could see out of my left eye... ;).

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2019, 6:31 AM
And it was addressed to Texas Motorcycle Rider. Now AARP members are mostly older people.

I am curious if any of you "old dogs" out there have motorcycles.
If I had one it probably be a Harley.

Also, do any of you shop here?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwBVznlqQrkpfFqdhVQjSpXNrJH

Hi Lowell, I have

1930 James single with acetylene lighting

1975 Norton Commando (original owner)

1976 R90/6 BMW

2013 F700GS BMW

Diann has the following

1977 R60/7 BMW

2010 F650GS BMW

So yes, we ride..........Rod

Dave Cav
03-06-2019, 2:13 PM
I've been riding since '72, mostly BMW airheads, but at least one of pretty much every common brand. I've got an IBA BBG plate. Right now I have a '94 R100GS and an old Gen 1 KLR. Strongly considering selling both and getting a quad.

lowell holmes
03-06-2019, 6:53 PM
I suspected there would be many of you and I was correct.:)

Art Mann
03-06-2019, 9:58 PM
I rode Goldwings for many years and put over 100,000 miles on them. I currently ride a three wheeled Can Am Spyder. It is safer and easier to ride 2 up but it isn't as much fun.

AARP is a political organization that makes money to promote their causes by selling insurance. Research what they lobby for before buying from them or you might wind up supporting something you don't like. On the other hand, you might agree with them.

Bert Kemp
03-06-2019, 10:26 PM
I've been riding since mid 60's would guess I have well over a million miles on 2 wheels never owned a Harley never will, I like to get were I'm going:D I've rode in 39 states, 4 Canadian Provinces , Mexico and Okinawa.

Kevin Beitz
03-07-2019, 3:02 AM
I have been on bikes my whole life... The bike to have today is electric.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Once you try it you will never go back to gas...

Jerome Stanek
03-07-2019, 8:53 AM
The most fun bike I ever rode was a Wankle engine one. So smooth and didn't even know I was going that fast.

Tony Pisano
03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
My dad wasn't keen on motorcycles. He never said I couldn't get one but I respected his wishes and waited till I was out of the house. I had a suzuki 250 that I bought from my cousin. My cousins, brother in law and friends did a lot of riding together. Sometimes, in the woods, I felt like the bike was going where it wanted to and I was just holding on trying to keep up. I only had one really close call when a woman pulled out in an intersection, then stopped when she saw me coming. It was raining and I locked up the back wheel, and was in the process of laying the bike down, which would have slid under the back side of the car. I managed to right it just in time and avoid hitting her. Of course, she then just drove away as if nothing happened. A few years later when I was ready to sell the bike, my cousin was feeling nostalgic and bought it back. That was back in the late 70s. He still has it.

Aaron Rosenthal
03-07-2019, 1:19 PM
Wow!
I have a 2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic, had it since it was almost new, about 4 months old - brought it up from Oregon. It's my second Harley, and I love it.
Before that:
Started on a '70 Norton Commando Fastback in '72;
Various nondescript putters starting my family;
Yamaha XS 650 ex-police in Johannesburg - had to rebuild it, but it was great;
Yamaha Seca 750 back in Vancouver;
Honda V-45 Magna;
Harley Softail Standard; then the Electra Glide which is my preferred daily driver in the summer, and go-to vehicle when visiting my grandkids in California.
Since I'm in Canada, I don't get AARP up here, so I'm not targeted.
I don't fault anyone who doesn't ride - my parents hated motorcycles and I also bought one when I moved out. But even though the Motor Company is having troubles, they are still a very nice way to eat up long distances.
Honda makes big bikes for interstate travel, and they also don't sell well. I don't know the status of other manufacturers who make large touring machines, but I'm willing to bet their sales are off too.
Agreed, that I'm keeping my '09 because a new one is too expensive, and there are so many aftermarket parts to keep it in good shape, there is no reason to go into debt to buy a new one. But, if I WERE in the market, I would compare Triumph, BMW, Harley and maybe Indian.
Keep the rubber side down.

Scott Donley
03-07-2019, 5:37 PM
I have been on bikes my whole life... The bike to have today is electric.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Once you try it you will never go back to gas...Harley Livewire, coming in August. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/livewire.html?source_cd=SEM_Retention_PPC&_cr=ppc%7cGOOGLE%7cFuture_Vehicles_Brand_E%7cLiveW ire%7charley+livewire&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIobHknovx4AIV5R6tBh3gQQpiEAAYASAA EgKru_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds