PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2019, 8:28 AM
4 Mar 2019

Greetings,
It’s been a really hard past 5 days. The LOML and I went and helped our daughter and son-in-law frame the walls of their new house. We got all the major framing work done and only minor parts to be 100% complete. Hopefully, by the end of this week, it will be ready for electrical and plumbing rough-in. I can say that my old body is hurting pretty bad today.

That’s it for me, so what did you do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!

Jim Becker
03-04-2019, 9:11 AM
Dennis, from the photos I saw, you did a bang-up job on those interior walls. What a marathon, however! I hope you can still walk, bend and function like a (normal) human. Well, at least a human. :D :D :D

Big week for me...finished up one of the most difficult and rewarding commissions I've had to-date with some architectural appliqués (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272422-Client-Project-CNC-Modeling-Architectural-Elements) for a beautiful new estate home in the suburban Philadelphia area. I had to "dive head first into a shallow pool" and learn some intricate modeling skills to complete this task, but the effort more than paid for itself. I'm pleased with the outcome and so is the client...the latter being very important to me. On the weekend, the deposit arrived for the next commission which is COMPLETELY different in that it's straight furniture building for a TwinXL over Queen bunk bed for a client's summer shore home. I like the trend here with folks actually wanting to buy my time. :)

I'll get started on that this week ordering materials, etc., but otherwise I have some down-time planned including celebrating 62 revolutions of the sun, visiting the Philadelphia Flower Show with my older daughter (who works as a talented florist) and dealing with some administrative things for my mother's taxes, passport renewal, etc. I should probably do a little more cleaning in the shop to prepare for building something "large", too.

Scott Bernstein
03-04-2019, 10:17 AM
My 7 year old recently learned how to play chess. When he asked to play a game with me recently it occurred to me that we do not have a chessboard - so we made one on Saturday. The wood is Granadillo and Ash, finished with a couple coats of Danish Oil. The pieces I made freehand on the bandsaw. I am going to 3D-print some pieces but in the meantime we just needed something to play chess with. Turns out I rather like them.

Scott

Lisa Starr
03-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Our son was out of town Saturday, but Sunday we installed the 2nd round of kitchen cabinets that we built the prior weekend. Everything looks great so far, and I took the measurements to design the last 3 carcases for his kitchen. So, this coming weekend, it will be back to breaking down plywood and creating cabinets again.

Scott, I love your chess project with your son. Those are the things memories are made of.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2019, 12:01 PM
This weekend I worked on an scroll saw "assignment" given to me at the last woodworking club meeting. All that is left is the spiral cutting to do. The major pieces have been cut, sanded and routed. Today is my normal gym day and tomorrow will be "spiral" day.

Darcy Warner
03-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Moved about 55k pounds worth of equipment to my new shop.

Jay Larson
03-04-2019, 12:36 PM
Friday I went to watch the High School state bowling tournament. I coach about 10-12 of the kids that made it to state, either as an individual or part of a team. One girl ended up in 10th place. She is a junior, so she has one more year to go.

Not much time in the shop this week, but I did get some work done in the basement. Finished putting in a run for some speaker wires in my 'stereo' room. And I picked up 40 sheets of drywall and hauled them down there. Took a while as the friend that was going to help cam down with a cold. So I would haul 10, take bit of a break, haul 10 more....

I did get out to Woodcraft and pick up the Trend diamond sharpening plate they had on sale. Have to get out in the shop tonight to test it out.

BTW, Happy Birthday Jim. I'll get there later this year.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Moved about 55k pounds worth of equipment to my new shop.

Hopefully with a lift truck...........New shops are exciting, and a lot of work............Rod

Darcy Warner
03-04-2019, 1:12 PM
Hopefully with a lift truck...........New shops are exciting, and a lot of work............Rod

I have 3, a 6k pound yale, 12k pound Clark and a 15k pound hyster.

I still have almost 25 trailers full to go, two big items left my whitney 970 planer and my 6 head hydromat.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2019, 2:42 PM
Thanks, is it the Hyster with the Monotrol throttle pedal for forward/reverse?

Always liked driving those........Rod

Darcy Warner
03-04-2019, 5:11 PM
Thanks, is it the Hyster with the Monotrol throttle pedal for forward/reverse?

Always liked driving those........Rod

No. It's a riggers special, 3 speed manual.

Nick Lazz
03-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Just started a bathroom remodel...I was smart enough to build the cabinets first...or at least the carcass, so I don’t have to shift gears in the middle.

Mike Ontko
03-05-2019, 12:27 AM
I haven't posted here in a while because, well...I haven't accomplished much (Creeker-wise) over the past several weekends. But I'm finally starting to make some real progress on the barn sign project that I thought it might be worth sharing a couple of pics.

Throughout the process of milling and joining (edge glued with splines) the 2x6 western cedar, and then routing out the initial depth of the background image, I've discovered that I've developed a pretty wicked allergic reaction to cedar dust. I've been wearing a dual canister filter mask, and have been pretty good about vacuuming up the fines after and inbetween each major step. But even light traces of dust left on my clothes is enough to give me a pretty heavy headache for the rest of the day. Guess I won't be building a cedar strip kayak anytime soon.

The sign backing measures 57-inches in diameter and will eventually be sealed with a light film of epoxy (EcoPoxy Liquid Plastic 2:1) and then top-coated with a few layers of Epifanes spar varnish. The sign itself came from the 'client' (a friend who owns and runs a local 20-horse stable), laser cut and powder coated steel around 14ga. I'll have to weld bolts onto the back so I can mount it to the backing. For the mountainscape image, I'm going to route down to a depth of around 5/8-inch then fill the void with a clear epoxy resin (EcoPoxy LiquidPlastic 1:1), and then route out a void in the back so I can backlight it with an LED strip. This is the first time I've done something like this but it seems to be coming together. Funny though, the epoxy and spar varnish are about three times the cost of the lumber.

405025 405026