PDA

View Full Version : Riser Block for old Jet band saw

Robert Loewenthal
03-03-2019, 4:51 PM
Has anyone installed a modern day 6" riser kit on and older model Jet 14" bandsaw(model JBS-14) I find them on Ebay or Amaazon for $100 or slightly less and want to make sure they will work. I believe my bandsaw has a 3/4 " bolt connection.
Thanks, Bob

John TenEyck
03-03-2019, 7:12 PM
Not a direct answer, but I used a Powermatic riser kit on my 1960 something 14" Delta. All the parts fit although I had to do a couple of modifications. The locator pins on the riser itself didn't all line up so I ground off the ones that didn't. The bolt fit perfectly. I also had to file the screw slots in the blade guard that goes on the upper guide assembly a little to get it to fit. The blade guard on the frame side fit perfectly.

Many folks have used the riser kit from Grizzly on other brand saws, too. If you do install a riser, make sure you torque the bolt really, really well. And be sure to check alignment of the upper and lower castings to verify the wheels are aligned.

John

justin sherriff
03-03-2019, 8:02 PM
yes you can here is a nice video doing just that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu7D-h_QZhk

Ken Platt
03-03-2019, 9:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "modern day" riser, but I did put a 6" Jet-branded riser in my older Jet bandsaw. The saw is of the vintage when Jet tools were blue, but the riser is from right when they switched to the white. I don't recall any problems putting it on - it's just one big bolt.

Ken

Jim Becker
03-04-2019, 9:13 AM
I don't believer there's any significant changes to the riser blocks themselves, whether they are Jet branded or from another source. As someone noted, alignment features may or may not need to be modified, depending on the part you use, but otherwise, the block is pretty basic. The extensions for the guard may or may not be a bigger challenge.

lowell holmes
03-04-2019, 10:56 AM
I have a riser block on my 14" Jet. It is a Jet block. It is 15-20 years old. You will have to increase the tension a bit.
I think any block that fits will suffice.

Derek Cohen
03-04-2019, 11:09 AM
As I mentioned on another forum, I question whether a higher frame will be stiff enough to deal with the tensioning needed to re-saw taller boards.

I recall having a 14" Taiwanese bandsaw, to which I added a dedicated block to increase the re-saw height. It certainly did this, but the bandsaw still could only handle a 1/2" wide blade. It could not add more tension than before, and the feed to work this new combination became impossibly slow. When I could find the funds, I upgraded the bandsaw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan Schocke
03-04-2019, 1:13 PM
I believe there are 2 versions of the Jet riser block kit -- the difference being in the diameter of the upper guide post (either 3/4" or 7/8"). As long as the kit you order has the same diameter post you should be fine.

--Dan

Doug Dawson
03-04-2019, 1:44 PM
As I mentioned on another forum, I question whether a higher frame will be stiff enough to deal with the tensioning needed to re-saw taller boards.

I recall having a 14" Taiwanese bandsaw, to which I added a dedicated block to increase the re-saw height. It certainly did this, but the bandsaw still could only handle a 1/2" wide blade. It could not add more tension than before, and the feed to work this new combination became impossibly slow. When I could find the funds, I upgraded the bandsaw.

I had the 14" Delta bandsaw for the longest time, probably the same vintage as the OP's Jet, (which was a copy of the Delta,) and even without the riser it couldn't tension more than a half-inch blade very well, it was really marginal. It was a mediocre resaw. I'm with Derek in suggesting an upgrade to a more recent and capable bandsaw. Such as the Laguna 14bx, etc. On the bright side, the Jet name is worth more now than it was then, with corresponding resale value perhaps.

lowell holmes
03-04-2019, 1:55 PM
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-parts-c-32652.html?source=gaws&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0rqwKyxkDxWHJzxcSp_ 3PyDkWdL5_VDuQ3qaBRo-2e-Hyb8LR57wmwaAi-yEALw_wcB

You may find this site interesting.