PDA

View Full Version : Tips on repairing an oilstone.

Graham Haydon
03-03-2019, 3:22 PM
I picked up a Washita for 75p at a vintage fair today, however it is broken in half (actually 1/3 2/3). I have a few ideas on how I might effect a good repair but I'm wondering if others have done this before and how successful you've found it?

Mel Fulks
03-03-2019, 3:30 PM
I have one that was repaired before I bought it. It is not noticeable in use. Seems to just be wedged tight in box ,it's possible it has glue below foreseeable wear surface.

ken hatch
03-03-2019, 4:34 PM
I picked up a Washita for 75p at a vintage fair today, however it is broken in half (actually 1/3 2/3). I have a few ideas on how I might effect a good repair but I'm wondering if others have done this before and how successful you've found it?

Graham,

Repair or not somewhat depends on how you sharpen.If you freehand I wouldn't bother. Many if not most JNats are not what we in the west consider complete stones, in other words 2"X8" or 3"X8" and many times even full sized stones will have a toxic crack that keeps you from using the full stone. If you freehand you just use the part of the stone that is good. Using a jig is another story.

BTW, congrats on the Washita, while not rare they are getting harder to find.

ken

Graham Haydon
03-03-2019, 5:05 PM
Hello, Mel

I think a similar solution could work very well here and I think I will add some glue to see how it works. Thanks for the feedback!

Ken,

I had similar feelings. I could happily work all my chisels, #3 and a block plane on the stone. Trying plane irons would be ok but less than ideal. I think I'll try some of the solutions I've read. Old school seems to be shellac, new seems to be epoxy or CA. If they fail I'll make it a mini-stone. This side of the world Washita is hard to find and expensive! Plenty of hollowed out carborndum and India's though.
I'm lucky at the moment, we have revolving tour of vintage sales at our Pannier Market, only a 3 min walk from my door. Picked up 6 items for less than £10.00. Got a lovely shop made gauge I'd like to copy, some unloved but stunning chisels too. I'm so close to having a work area at home again and anxious to be making things in my spare time again.

Cheers