PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2003 Unisaw 36-R31x

Thomas Kelly
03-03-2019, 12:04 PM
I apologize if this in the wrong forum or not appropriate on the board.
I am looking at a 36-R31x Unisaw with a 52" Biesemeyer fence and rail and sn 03F40348 (thus a 2003 mfr date), 3hp, 220, single phase. It is in good condition. The owner is retiring and closing his shop.
Any opinions on what I should pay? They are asking $1500, I think $1000 is about right, but I do not want to insult the guy if that is too lowball.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Charles Lent
03-03-2019, 12:23 PM
If it is in the good condition that you say, it's probably worth what he is asking. Maybe a starting offer of $1250 might get him to come down a little. If you really want the saw, do your best to get him to come down a little, maybe offering cash in hand. but don't let it get away from you. Grit your teeth and pay for it. There aren't many of these around in any condition and it will likely last you the rest of your life.

Charley

Cary Falk
03-03-2019, 12:33 PM
At $1500 I would buy a Grixxly G10323RL with riving knife and warranty.

Mike Cutler
03-03-2019, 5:10 PM
I'm in the offer a $1000.00 camp if you believe that's what it's worth.
It is a 15 year old saw.
There's a 5 HP Grizzly, 12" , G0696X near me for $1500.00 on Craiglist, as a comparison.
Lots of Delta Unisaws also. There's a working 1959 Unisaws near me for $200.00.

Matt Day
03-03-2019, 6:30 PM
$1000 is high, $1500 is crazy high, IMO. The seller needs to consider what that money can buy today, and how much he bought it for.

Unless he’s you’re friend or he has other machinery you’re interested in, don’t worry too much about insulting him. It’s a financial transaction.

Jim Andrew
03-03-2019, 6:35 PM
I bought a new unisaw set up exactly like that one in early 05, is a 04 model, and paid 1000 from my local hardware. It was a special order, as the hardware did not stock any such machinery, and I talked to his Delta salesperson, and was told to buy the basic saw, and then the long rails separately, so got both short and long rails. Gave the short rails to a friend, he was going to make his own fence.

Mike Kees
03-04-2019, 9:53 AM
Ok so I just have to say this.. Monetary value of any object is subjective,both to the buyer and seller. Prices are not based on 'what I paid for' 20 years ago. Supply and demand have a lot to do with what anything is worth in a given area. The OP is looking at a saw that might be a decent price where he lives and crazy elsewhere. Bottom line is it is worth whatever someone will pay. I live in Alberta,Unisaws while not overly abundant are available. I have purchased one minus a fence for $150. I also have one in my shop that I paid $1700 for used. It was 16 years old when I bought it but had never been turned on,switch was not even wired. $1000 is about the average price for a decent saw here. Thomas no idea where you live and what the market is like there,but I would not hesitate to make an offer on that saw if you like it.Mike.

Thomas Kelly
03-04-2019, 5:42 PM
Thank you for all of the input.
Please keep it coming, as more perspectives are always appreciated.
Also, for the Grizzly advocates, is it well built? I have looked at the Grizzlies, but I see mixed reviews (not terrible reviews, just mixed). The older Unisaws always get great reviews.
I would prefer a true riving knife like Grizzly and newer saws, but I think I would be satisfied with Shark's pseudo-riving knife for older Unisaws(needs to be height adjusted separate form the blade height adjustment).

Cary Falk
03-04-2019, 8:34 PM
Thank you for all of the input.
Please keep it coming, as more perspectives are always appreciated.
Also, for the Grizzly advocates, is it well built? I have looked at the Grizzlies, but I see mixed reviews (not terrible reviews, just mixed). The older Unisaws always get great reviews.
I would prefer a true riving knife like Grizzly and newer saws, but I think I would be satisfied with Shark's pseudo-riving knife for older Unisaws(needs to be height adjusted separate form the blade height adjustment).

I restored a 1970 Uni. I sold it and bought the G1023RL when it was first introduced. I couldn't be happier.

Mike Kees
03-05-2019, 2:01 AM
I have and like my Unisaw. I use the Sharkguard ARK model on it. However one of my ex employees bought a Grizzly one of the 1023 models. He likes it a lot. I checked it out closely one day and do not think a Unisaw is any better. Grizzly makes a good saw,and they are still available new in the 1600-1800 range depending on which one you buy. I figure a Unisaw makes sense only if it is cheaper. The Sharkguard works very well for me,the only thing is manual height adjustment which really is not a big deal. Good luck,Mike.

Ed Gibbons
03-05-2019, 11:56 AM
I have a Unisaw that I purchased in 2000. It’s a beast. I love the saw but if I was purchasing a saw today, I would get a Sawstop.