PDA

View Full Version : Saw Bench Give-away - Local to Princeton NJ

Brian Holcombe
03-02-2019, 2:07 PM
Posting this here as it has the most relevance here.

I no longer have room for my saw bench so I'd like to give it to a hand tooler who will put it to use, preferably.

Contact me via PM

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/img_2632.jpg

Jim Koepke
03-02-2019, 2:57 PM
Can you wait for me to convince SWMBO that we need to move to the east coast? :eek:

Someone is going to be quite fortunate to become the proud owner of this.

jtk

Christopher Charles
03-02-2019, 3:18 PM
Brian, you don't have a saw bench problem, just a space problem :)

Wow, someone will be lucky indeed! I'm in the (very slow) process of building one inspired by yours!

Best,
Chris

Chris Parks
03-02-2019, 9:02 PM
I'll take it, can you get a postage price to Australia for me.:eek: A once only deal for some lucky person.

ken hatch
03-03-2019, 6:11 AM
Brian,

A wonderful and generous offer. Like everyone so far distance is a problem. NJ and AZ are more than a day's drive:) and in addition there ain't no room in my shop. Shame, it is a beautiful saw bench, much nicer than my two HD Redwood benches. Someone will be very lucky. BTW, I'd almost make the drive if you would sign the bench :D. I've done dumber, back in the day I rode my motorcycle from San Diego to Jacksonville in less than two days so I could eat a hamburger on the beach.

ken

Nicholas Lawrence
03-03-2019, 8:59 AM
That is dumb. You can eat hamburgers on the beach in San Diego.

ken hatch
03-03-2019, 10:42 AM
That is dumb. You can eat hamburgers on the beach in San Diego.

But it would be a West coast hamburger and I wanted an East coast burger :D.

ken

Phil Mueller
03-03-2019, 12:22 PM
If I was headed your way, I’d love to have it. If I had a friend, or even a friend of a friend, or relative, or distant relative headed your way, I’d ask them to pick it up. But alas, I do not. Sorrow.

Bill Houghton
03-03-2019, 1:38 PM
Let's recognize that it's not exactly high-grade wood, even though it's been shaped into a lovely bench.

Still, I'd be signing up to get it if my Star Trek transporter weren't broken.

Brian Holcombe
03-03-2019, 1:43 PM
8/4 KD white ash is high grade wood.

Thanks gents, appreciate the levity as always. A local hand tooler is planning to drop by today.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-03-2019, 3:29 PM
If I was guessing, I would guess a woman was involved somehow. But burgers can be pretty memorable. I remember a burger shack in Oceanside that had all kinds of exotic meats. Buffalo, ostrich, all kinds of stuff.

But it would be a West coast hamburger and I wanted an East coast burger :D.

ken

Jim Koepke
03-03-2019, 6:39 PM
Was that before there were In and Out Burgers on the west coast?

There used to be one of those close to us when we lived in California. We often got the In & Out urge and made a burger run.

People in parts of California will likely remember seeing their bumper stickers.

The menu was about 12 items, but there were a lot of things one could get that weren't on the menu.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
03-03-2019, 6:55 PM
I don’t think I am old enough to remember a time before In and Out.

The place I am thinking of was not a chain.

John Stankus
03-04-2019, 7:49 AM
Brian,

A wonderful and generous offer. Like everyone so far distance is a problem. NJ and AZ are more than a day's drive:) And ...

ken

Doesn’t that depend on how fast you drive?:). It’s only 2368 miles between Tucson and Princeton. So just over 100 mph (ok maybe a little faster to account for fuel and ticket stops :D )

John

ken hatch
03-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Thanks gents, appreciate the levity as always. A local hand tooler is planning to drop by today.

Brian,

Perfect outcome.

Sorry for the hijack but I truly did think about the drive, I've done more for less reason.

ken

ken hatch
03-04-2019, 10:15 AM
If I was guessing, I would guess a woman was involved somehow. But burgers can be pretty memorable. I remember a burger shack in Oceanside that had all kinds of exotic meats. Buffalo, ostrich, all kinds of stuff.

Have you been reading my mail? :p BTW, that was my second run at it, the first was over the New Year weekend and the cold, rain, and night got to me just outside San Antonio where I shut it down. I always said I could ride through cold, rain, and night, pick any two but not all three.

ken

ken hatch
03-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Doesn’t that depend on how fast you drive?:). It’s only 2368 miles between Tucson and Princeton. So just over 100 mph (ok maybe a little faster to account for fuel and ticket stops :D )

John

John,

1500 in 24 hours is about all most folks can reliably plan on. Even then all it takes is a bit of construction, a traffic jam, or whatever to throw a spanner into the works.

ken

Patrick McCarthy
03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Brian, as others also commented, a very generous offer. I remember enjoying the build. Class act, again, sir.

Brian Holcombe
03-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Either that or I was young(er) once myself.

I have done coast to coast a couple of times. If I do it again I think I will be retired, in an RV, with a portable workbench, a cooler, a grill, and a map of every national park between here and there. There will be lots of burgers, on the beach, in the mountains, and everywhere in between.

Have you been reading my mail?

ken

ken hatch
03-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Either that or I was young(er) once myself.

I have done coast to coast a couple of times. If I do it again I think I will be retired, in an RV, with a portable workbench, a cooler, a grill, and a map of every national park between here and there. There will be lots of burgers, on the beach, in the mountains, and everywhere in between.

If you do, don't miss Big Bend and while in Big Bend do the Boquillas river crossing by row boat. A great way to spend an afternoon.

ken

lowell holmes
03-04-2019, 12:01 PM
I made this bench many years ago.
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/the-new-5-87-sawbench/
I also made a small horse the same height out of 1 by 4 that I can use to hold up the end of log pieces.

I use handsaws and circular power saws when using the bench.
Some of you new woodworkers may not know about using a speed square as a guide when cutting boards.

Bill Houghton
03-05-2019, 6:04 PM
Oh, sorry; it looked like Douglas fir from here.

Mike Manning
03-05-2019, 6:21 PM
If you do, don't miss Big Bend and while in Big Bend do the Boquillas river crossing by row boat. A great way to spend an afternoon.

ken

You've got to have your passport to make the crossing now unlike the old days.

Brian Holcombe
03-05-2019, 6:56 PM
Brian,

Perfect outcome.

Sorry for the hijack but I truly did think about the drive, I've done more for less reason.

ken

Ken,

No worries, if you find yourself in NJ definetly stop by.

Brian Holcombe
03-05-2019, 7:01 PM
Oh, sorry; it looked like Douglas fir from here.

No worries. Doug fir would work nicely for it if anyone is thinking to build one.

Kevin Hampshire
03-05-2019, 10:40 PM
Brian, I used to live just down the road.

Sadly, not anymore, but I didn’t see your post until the bench was already spoken for, so I don’t feel as bad about missing it.

John Stankus
03-06-2019, 10:14 AM
John,

1500 in 24 hours is about all most folks can reliably plan on. Even then all it takes is a bit of construction, a traffic jam, or whatever to throw a spanner into the works.

ken

I think I need to be better about indicating that I was attempting humor.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quite unrealistic to think you can average over 100 mph on that long of run. Though I did find out empirically that GM rental cars were speed limited to 112 mph (as a passenger). (but that was only about 100 miles between Rolla, Mo and Springfield when a co-worker I was travelling with had to get home quick for a family emergency) Even 1500 miles in 24 hours means you are averaging 62.5 mph which can be tough to do (peak speeds must be a bit higher to compensate for fuel stops etc). There are not a lot of highways that can handle that high of sustained speed for that long. (you get somewhere FAST that doesn't :) )

John

ken hatch
03-06-2019, 1:39 PM
I think I need to be better about indicating that I was attempting humor.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quite unrealistic to think you can average over 100 mph on that long of run. Though I did find out empirically that GM rental cars were speed limited to 112 mph (as a passenger). (but that was only about 100 miles between Rolla, Mo and Springfield when a co-worker I was travelling with had to get home quick for a family emergency) Even 1500 miles in 24 hours means you are averaging 62.5 mph which can be tough to do (peak speeds must be a bit higher to compensate for fuel stops etc). There are not a lot of highways that can handle that high of sustained speed for that long. (you get somewhere FAST that doesn't :) )

John

John,

I knew you were having fun as I was. I guess my reply was a little dry.

ken