PDA

View Full Version : New Vase ?

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
OK Guys I thought I'd better post something to try to catch up a little. This is not one of my favorites so you won't hurt my feelings if you want to come down hard with your critiques. It won't hold soup and has 384 pieces (and about that many holes). Measures 5-1/2" diameter x 10" tall and is made from maple. Please tell me what you don't like and thanks for looking.

Bill Stevener
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Well as for what I don't like Keith, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
----------------
And for what I do like, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

ps: I had 41 smiles, but they limit you to only 10.

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 1:22 PM
You are it's ceator, so you can dislike it. but for me I LOVE IT!!! I need to learn how to do that. All of your work is awesome.

John

Mark Cothren
12-06-2005, 1:28 PM
Sorry to disappoint, Keith... but I like it...:)

Rich Stewart
12-06-2005, 1:35 PM
Really impressive!! I like the shape, the finish, the holes, the photography. You aced it in my book. If you do another, can we see a 'before' pic? I would be interested in trying something like that but don't really have a clue how to begin.

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 1:51 PM
Keith, yeah...What the other guys said! I think it's cool and superbly executed!:) Now, a mini-tutorial would be icing on the cake!:) :cool:

Mike Wilkins
12-06-2005, 2:15 PM
Ditto. Great looking vase and I would be proud to display in my home. If you do it again, consider contrasting species of wood for an even more dramatic effect.
What was your primary tool to turn and shape this object?? I can envision a serious catch or 2 due to the gaps.

Michael Stafford
12-06-2005, 2:48 PM
Keith, I am just gonna throw my mess away. I am not in the same league. My feeble attempts at woodturning truly are little more than wood bludgeoning. That is lovely work Keith!:D :D :D :D :D

John Hart
12-06-2005, 4:00 PM
Yep..me too Keith...I can't help you. You even made the sharp corner at the shoulder look good. You're just too good.:)

Bill Grumbine
12-06-2005, 5:01 PM
Hi Keith

This is a very nice piece. It would turn into a great piece though, if you changed the foot so that the line of the curve continued down to a small foot instead of flaring out to a larger foot. I don't know if you can still do that, but if you can I would encourage you to do so. Of course if you can't, I am sure someone will love it and buy it. That always seems to happen with my pieces that I don't like.

Bill

Jim Ketron
12-06-2005, 5:05 PM
Nice Work Keith!

Travis Stinson
12-06-2005, 6:33 PM
I'm sorry too Keith, can't see anything I don't like about it. I could go either way with the foot. Great looking vase.:)

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 6:43 PM
I really like the form of this piece, Keith, and also agree with Bill G about blending in the line for the foot a little better. You might also try it using smaller segments for the same size form to reduce the size of the openings slightly...it could just be my eyes, but they are a little large for the proportion of the piece overall and interfere slightly with the visual of the curves. Only suggestions, of course...you're the artist!

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 9:59 PM
Thanks guys, your honest feedback is always appreciated.

Mike, I use the Hamlett Hollowing tool. It is a ring tool but it has a shield so you can limit the depth of cut. It's the only tool I've found that won't catch.

John, this open turning requires some jigs that are fairly simple to make. Bill Smith has a book out showing how to do it. Believe it or not it is simple to do once you figure it out.

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Keith, If I were t do this piece, I would have sponsored a parade in my little town to carry it down main street.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
I HATE IT, Kieth!......................... IT WON'T HOLD WATER!:D :D :D :D

Really, It is a wonder how you secmented bowl guys do the things you do. You humble me.

Bruce;)

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:25 AM
Great job Keith...:D

Gary DeWitt
12-08-2005, 2:08 PM
I like it quite a bit. To me, it gracefully combines classic form with current fashion, a sometimes difficult mix.

tod evans
12-08-2005, 3:34 PM
keith, the only thing i don`t like about this vase is that it`s not sitting on my mantle.... nice job! tod

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 3:43 PM
Ah, another great production by the "Wizzard of Collierville"

Joe Judge
12-08-2005, 4:08 PM
thats crazy talk .... the thing looks very nice.

-- joe

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 4:57 PM
Keith,

What I don't like is the fact that it won't hold soup....or water. ;) :D

Other than that it is a beautiful piece. If it's cluttering up your space I would be happy to give you my address. It will look really good in our new home.

Karl