PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with purches of a JET planer

Vincent Littlejohn
02-28-2019, 10:39 PM
Hello folks,
So I'm in the market for planer and found what appears to be a fairly nice, used, JET 16" 3 HP planer in the local area. The owner has said I needs new blades and has been used sparingly in the past 8 yrs. He is the second owner and isn't sure hold the machine is. He's asking $900 OBO. Would anyone have any guidance on this purchase?

Thanks

Wayne Cannon
03-01-2019, 1:12 AM
Had one and liked it very much; however, I did not like that the infeed and outfeed raise and lower to change thickness instead of the upper/cutter surface, making it a pain to use any extended support or rollers. It's a pretty common design, but it's still a pain.

Bill Dufour
03-01-2019, 9:26 AM
Around here, Modesto, California USA, that is a fair price, Where do you live? Blades probably need to be sharpened not replaced. Do you have enough electricity and dust collector to keep up with it.
Bill D.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Had one and liked it very much; however, I did not like that the infeed and outfeed raise and lower to change thickness instead of the upper/cutter surface, making it a pain to use any extended support or rollers. It's a pretty common design, but it's still a pain.

Wayne, I think this model is the one where the planer head moves and the bed is fixed?

regards, Rod.

David Kumm
03-01-2019, 1:12 PM
There are two separates threads on this planer that should probably be combined. Dave