PDA

View Full Version : Pen making

Rich Stewart
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Son is still interested in pen making and I'm still not sure what all I need. Do you have to have a special set of bushings for each kit? I got the 7mm mandrel kit from PSI for 17.95 with a drill bit. It has several bushings in the package. There are three pages of bushings in their online catalog.

Thank you

Jason Christenson
12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Rich-
The bushings that came with the mandrel will (I believe) work for any kit that uses 7mm tubes. Kits that use larger tubes will use different bushings. My experience has been that bushings almost always have to be purchased separately.

Jason

Dave Bonde
12-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Yes each different kit style uses different bushing - I don't have one in front of me but I am sure the bushing you have are for the slimline pen kit. Dave

Lars Thomas
12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Each pen kit would specify it's own set of bushings. Sounds like your set-up from PSI may have been packaged with some. There are generally 3 or 4 bushings; one for the top, one for the business end (ink). Then there is either a 'step' bushing in the middle or two separate bushings.

Don't be overwhelmed with the catalog. Find the pen style you like, then look up the appropriate bushing. If you can, it's less confusing to stick with one supplier for all your pen kits and bushings (I didn't and have a hard time making sure I am using the correct bushings for the pens.) Most suppliers package their bushings in little zip lock baggies. I store mine in those bags, so I have the part number reference.

My sons and I enjoy making pens. We always make them for their teachers for the holidays.

PS: Penn State offers a free pen turning DVD (at least they did). If it’s not available let me know and I’ll send you mine. Naturally, they are pushing (slightly) some of their finishing products, but the pen-turning concept is presented clearly. Also, the inherent dangers of woodworking are clear after watching the DVD

Rich Stewart
12-06-2005, 1:41 PM
Thanks for your responses. Ok, I got the DVD on the way and some slimline pen kits. It is a little overwhelming. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Harry Pye
12-06-2005, 4:28 PM
Rich,

You may need those bushings that came with the mandrel as spacers. I often find that the pen blanks and required bushings don't fill the mandrel enough to allow the brass nut to be tightened. That's when you can stick one of those spare bushings on either end to fill up the extra space.