PDA

View Full Version : raised panels on the jointer

jack forsberg
02-28-2019, 9:13 AM
i don't use this much but it is handy for those panels that need other wise large cutter block to make . its not done the way you think .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7VBZaLeS-c

brent stanley
02-28-2019, 9:42 AM
Super cool Jack, thanks.

John TenEyck
02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Clever. Never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

John

Richard Coers
02-28-2019, 2:51 PM
How do you handle all that chip out on the end grain of the face? Almost looks like the famous Roy Underhill move where you put your thumb over the chip out at around 3:10 in the video. Roy's famous for both that and how to cover up a bloodied knuckle on video! LOL

Wayne Lomman
02-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Chip out will depend on sharpness of cutters and timber species. If that is not to anyone's liking, leave the panel 1mm thicker and run it back through the planer. It's an excellent technique and a commendable example of innovation and jig making. Cheers

Edwin Santos
03-01-2019, 11:57 AM
How do you handle all that chip out on the end grain of the face? Almost looks like the famous Roy Underhill move where you put your thumb over the chip out at around 3:10 in the video. Roy's famous for both that and how to cover up a bloodied knuckle on video! LOL

I think it would be possible to eliminate or at least minimize the chip out by scoring the place where you intend your cove to land and sneak up to it when milling. In fact, now that I think about it, the scoring could even be done at the table saw and thus create a fillet to further define the raised panel.
I agree with Wayne, this is a great example of woodworker ingenuity. For all the complaints about junk on YouTube, there can also be some real gold to be found. Thank you for sharing it!