PDA

View Full Version : Performax Supermax 25x2

brian cammarata
02-28-2019, 8:42 AM
I think this is a want on my bucket list, not necessarily a need.

A friend of mine has one in these in the south east. Which means a day drive for me and a truck rental (~$150)

5 hp, single phase, digital read old, 8 year old

is it worth $1500 asking price???

Joe Adams
02-28-2019, 12:10 PM
I had a 37x2 and ultimately switched to a 25-50. It was built like a tank but I never employed the second drum because I primarily used it as a thicknesser. No sense sanding with two grits when you're taking multiple passes. My big issue was how it adjusted. The table moved up and down rather than the head making it impossible to use roller stands to help support long boards. The head moves up and down on the 25-50 so it better suits my needs. They're both good machines.

Michael Koons
02-28-2019, 6:54 PM
I own the 25x2 and like it very much. I agree with Joe to a point, I'm not sure I really need the two grits either. I don't have as big of an issue with the table moving up/down because I use it primarily for veneers and other smaller work. I have the table extensions and find that suits my work style well. I've never used roller stands on my sander. I use them in other parts of the shop, especially my bandsaw but not the sander.

I can't really comment on the price as I'm not an expert here. The $1500 is a little more than 1/2 of what you'd pay for new although I haven't priced them out in 15 months. That seems a bit high to me for 8 year old machine, but again, I'm no expert.

David Kumm
02-28-2019, 8:40 PM
If the conveyor belt is good, the drums not bunged up, has the sand smart module, spring clips are both good, table moves up and down without binding, and has the true 5 hp motor ( some of the older ones listed 5 but were only 3, I'd say $1500 was fair if condition is good. Dave

PS That vintage will have been made in US. I'm not sure if they still are as the price seems lower and they don't post it prominently like they used to on their website.

Bradley Gray
03-01-2019, 7:04 AM
I have one I use a lot, usually run 80 & 100 grits. It's no wide belt but a great timesaver.

Mine is much older. I bought it from an individual via ebay auction - I paid around $800

brian cammarata
03-01-2019, 11:25 AM
If the conveyor belt is good, the drums not bunged up, has the sand smart module, spring clips are both good, table moves up and down without binding, and has the true 5 hp motor ( some of the older ones listed 5 but were only 3, I'd say $1500 was fair if condition is good. Dave

PS That vintage will have been made in US. I'm not sure if they still are as the price seems lower and they don't post it prominently like they used to on their website.

Was there a specific year or motor that this issue was associated with? i.e. how is 5hp, a 3 hp?

mreza Salav
03-01-2019, 11:33 AM
I have the (Made in USA) 37x2. It's very well built machine. I have sent full size passage doors (over 100lb each) through it.
My only issue was that the (soft alloy) gears for the elevation mechanism would slip over the shaft as the set-screw was not strong enough to hold the gear tight on the shaft.
Eventually drilled through and used a longer screw so that the screw would actually go into the shaft. Problem solved.

David Kumm
03-01-2019, 11:59 AM
The old Performax machines from the 1990s or earlier used a motor that ran off a 20 amp circuit so it was probably more like 4 hp. Not a big deal as too much bite on 25" tends to burn the paper so you need light cuts anyway. The old machines sell in the 750 range, the newer Supermax USA machines with sandsmart are in the 1200-1500 range. I believe they sold for more like 3500 when new. Dave

brian cammarata
03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
The old Performax machines from the 1990s or earlier used a motor that ran off a 20 amp circuit so it was probably more like 4 hp. Not a big deal as too much bite on 25" tends to burn the paper so you need light cuts anyway. The old machines sell in the 750 range, the newer Supermax USA machines with sandsmart are in the 1200-1500 range. I believe they sold for more like 3500 when new. Dave

I pulled the trigger. It was newer Supermax USA version, with 30A circuit, intellisand, extra rolls of paper and DRO. $1200. Not a screaming deal but it should serve me well for years to come and another tool for the collection

Michael Koons
03-02-2019, 5:28 PM
Congrats. I think you got a fair price. You'll love the machine.

David Kumm
03-02-2019, 5:50 PM
You got a very good deal. Those machines were well made and last. Dave

PS. I bought a used 25x2 ( old model ) in the mid 1990s. Hard to find before the internet and the shipping ( long story ) put me close to the cost of new. I learned from the experience but I still have the machine. I use the WB most of the time but for sanding thin veneer, the drum sander is still the best. You never overpay for the right machine and the wrong one is never a bargain.