PDA

View Full Version : Click Bait Craziness

Jim Koepke
02-27-2019, 6:35 PM
At the bottom of many internet news pages are "paid content" which to me means sites trying to suck the rest of your life onto their pages.

They often have an image of some voluptuous, half dressed young woman with a caption on clothing malfunctions through the ages. Usually it is nothing that was expected. The button for the next page is often positioned so it is easy to mistakenly click on an advertisement.

Sometimes the original 'click bait' is so poorly done it is obvious:

If there is a California license on your car, why would you be interested in a little known rule in a state north of you?

After having gone down a few of these rabbit holes, the temptation to hear a half hour of someone talking about how great it will be to get rich using their methods that now their bait is only viewed for a good laugh, then it is time to move to the next reality based information.

jtk

Ron Citerone
02-27-2019, 6:59 PM
For a minute there I thought this was a thread about a new bass fishing lure! :(

Tom Stenzel
02-27-2019, 7:14 PM
Thanks a lot Jim.

You just started:

THE THREAD THAT BROKE THE INTERNET!

But you got me to click on it. :p

Edit: I just saw click bait that said "The Truth about Costco Chickens". No half dressed women but there were breasts involved.

-Tom

Michael Weber
02-28-2019, 1:10 PM
I recently traveled and the ads for that "Drivers with no tickets in .......... " Followed me around from state to state. Kind of freaked me out.

Bob Glenn
02-28-2019, 1:58 PM
The problem with DOS was, it was like a secret society with secret codes. You had to know the secret hand shake to operate it.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2019, 4:12 PM
The problem with DOS was, it was like a secret society with secret codes. You had to know the secret hand shake to operate it.

That is why my computer has always been a Mac.

During my working days, it was easier, on some projects, to do the artwork at home than it was to do on a PC.

In my case there is a big server farm in the Portland, OR area. A lot of the automatic ad insert routines seem to think my residence is in Oregon.

jtk

Jim Allen
03-01-2019, 6:51 PM

But once you learned the secrets they never changed, Windows makes minor changes all the time which usually requires learning new secrets!

Wade Lippman
03-01-2019, 10:30 PM
You just have to resist the urge to click on that crap. They make you go through 10 pages before you realize there is nothing interesting. Just say no.

Not sure what DOS has to do with it, but I understood DOS and could make it do what I wanted. Don't have a clue about Windows.

Vincent Tai
03-01-2019, 10:56 PM
For me clickbait is much more an issue in general content. ALL CAPS AND FLASHY DRAMATIC TITLES AND EDITED TO ALLURE THUMBNAILS IN EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO. Just too loud for me, and rarely does the content match up.

Brian Tymchak
03-03-2019, 3:48 PM
You just have to resist the urge to click on that crap. They make you go through 10 pages before you realize there is nothing interesting. Just say no.

The real problem is that when you clicked on the whatever you clicked on, something got logged in some database somewhere that says you are inclined to click on that kind of stuff. So, expect to see a lot more of whatever you clicked on. And careful about clicking on those voluptuous babes, especially if you are younger. You might not want that kind of stuff on your profile to come back to haunt you at interview time. Companies are buying profiles of promising job applicants to see if there is any questionable stuff that could be an issue for the image of the company.

Greg R Bradley
03-03-2019, 9:17 PM
It is hard to resist that crap. Once in a while, it will suck me down the rabbit hole and then I think "am I stupid?". It seems tempting but you have to resist. It is always crap!

Jim Koepke
03-04-2019, 2:11 PM
The real problem is that when you clicked on the whatever you clicked on, something got logged in some database somewhere that says you are inclined to click on that kind of stuff.

Well, that might explain why when my wife buys lingerie using her iPad, the next week or two is filled with ads showing scantily clad women in the margins of pages on my machine.

jtk