PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on Electronic Calipers

Kent Cori
12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
A friend turned me onto this bargain. It is a 6-inch electronic calipers for $19.99! I bought one and it works great. It even comes with an extra battery and molded plastic storage case. The vendor supplies shooting products but this calipers is terrific for woodworking or general mechanical use too.

You can find it at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=604242

As usual, I have no affilitation with the vendor, blah, blah, blah.

Scott Berg
12-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Kent,
Harbor Freight has virtually the same caliper for $16, I just got one last week. They also have a 20% off coupon available which really brings the cost down.
I was trying to use one of the "old fashioned" i.e. non-digital ones and was pulling what little hair I have out!

Kent Cori
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Scott,

Yes, that certainly looks like the same basic product with a differenct color scheme. HF maybe has an even better deal!

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
For those of you that like a fractional dial caliper, (I know I do), Woocraft has one on sale (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4440&WeeklySpecial=True) Regularly $49.95 on sale for $29.99.

Not associated with Woodcraft, other than a tool junky.

John

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2005, 2:04 PM
Well, that's depressing: it looks like the twin of the one Rockler was selling for $30. I didn't feel too bad about it up until now because the other place I'd seen it (Dillon Precision) wanted $30 also.:mad: (Update: that $30 caliper from Dillon is a dial caliper...their clone of this electronic caliper is $79. Yikes!)

It's a pretty good unit, except I wish it had an automatic power-off timer: I tend to leave it on and kill the battery once a month or so.

Lee Schierer
12-06-2005, 3:53 PM
Be careful using the dial type calipers in your wood shop. The sawdust will gum up the gearing that drives the dial. The Digital types don't seem to be affected by sawdust.

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 4:07 PM
Be careful using the dial type calipers in your wood shop. The sawdust will gum up the gearing that drives the dial. The Digital types don't seem to be affected by sawdust.

Thanks for the info. I keep my dial calipers in the case it came in and in a drawer. I am pretty careful about keeping my reference measuring devices protected. I do the same thing with my set of engineer squares. I am afraid if I leave things like these laying around. They will end up damaged. I do have a digital one from Harbor Freight. It was the first one that I purchased. It works great, but I would rather work with fractions.

John