PDA

View Full Version : Altendorf WA6

Mark e Kessler
02-27-2019, 2:45 PM
Anyone out there have experience with this saw? I know its made in Altendorfs plant in China, just curios on first hand usage of this machine, build quality, accuracy...you know the drill

Thanks in advance! Mark

devonn anderson
12-25-2019, 2:37 PM
I have one in the shop. Build quality is good, accuracy us spot on once set, and accepts a dado blade. Standard euro 30mm, two pin blade arbor. I have mainly hardwoods coming through the shop with plywood used about a third of the time.

Likes: well made, one of the least expensive choices out there, one phase 4hp main, 1hp scoring. Like the way the scoring blade adjusts. Both the miter and rip fence are sturdy and holds settings. No issues with power at all. Set up is straight forward.

Dislikes: freaking slider handle isn't the most stable and is made from plastic. (The one you slide on anywhere and tighten.) No option for an auxiliary table that I could find. Didn't care for the over the table dust guard but that's my personal preference. I liked the grizzly universal one. Getting the belts swapped out is a chore.

Overall, I would buy another if I was still limited on shop space. If you want more options, look at the WA8 or step up to the F92, with an equal step up in price.

Peter Kelly
12-25-2019, 6:12 PM
For around $4,000 less, you can get an SCMI si 400, made in Italy, not China.
https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-machines.c884/sliding-table-saws.896/class-si-400.734

jack duren
12-25-2019, 9:08 PM
I've used the Altendorf WA8. Can't be much difference. Excellent saw. As mentioned the scoring blade is nicely setup.. Can't speak for the SI 400 but I do like SCM products as well....422180

Mark e Kessler
12-25-2019, 10:07 PM
That's good to hear, I never saw one in person but the first thing I noticed was that plastic handle. I ended up with a 9' Felder k700s.

Mark

I have one in the shop. Build quality is good, accuracy us spot on once set, and accepts a dado blade. Standard euro 30mm, two pin blade arbor. I have mainly hardwoods coming through the shop with plywood used about a third of the time.

Likes: well made, one of the least expensive choices out there, one phase 4hp main, 1hp scoring. Like the way the scoring blade adjusts. Both the miter and rip fence are sturdy and holds settings. No issues with power at all. Set up is straight forward.

Dislikes: freaking slider handle isn't the most stable and is made from plastic. (The one you slide on anywhere and tighten.) No option for an auxiliary table that I could find. Didn't care for the over the table dust guard but that's my personal preference. I liked the grizzly universal one. Getting the belts swapped out is a chore.

Overall, I would buy another if I was still limited on shop space. If you want more options, look at the WA8 or step up to the F92, with an equal step up in price.