PDA

View Full Version : Taking my chisel for a walk

Christopher Charles
02-27-2019, 1:58 PM
I was chopping dovetails this morning and noticed that sometimes I place the chisel carefully by shifting my hold down to the business end to gaining fine control by having my hand on the board. This is especially the case as I near the final line when chopping.

However, much of the time, I find it faster to hold the chisel at the ferrule/handle, place it close and then "walk" it into place by tipping corner-to-corner without having to shift my hold between positioning and hammering.

Anybody else take their chisels for a walk? What other tricks do you have to precisely and quickly place chisels for work?

Best,
Chris

James Pallas
02-27-2019, 2:27 PM
Handle for heavy work like mortises, blade for more refined work. I’m in the process of learning handle for everything. Arthritic thumbs. I have to hold with the base of my thumb if working for any length of time. It’s amazingly difficult to change what you have been doing for years.
Jim

Jim Koepke
02-28-2019, 1:40 AM
Anybody else take their chisels for a walk?

Yes, this has also worked for me.

jtk

Dan Hulbert
02-28-2019, 3:22 PM
I usually start with a knife line and, holding by the handle, drag the blade backwards lightly until it drops into the knife line.

Les Groeller
02-28-2019, 8:54 PM
I usually start with a knife line and, holding by the handle, drag the blade backwards lightly until it drops into the knife line.

Yup that's what I do as well. Some softer woods are a little tricky sometimes if they aren't perfectly smooth. The blade can grab if you don't watch carefully.

steven c newman
02-28-2019, 10:20 PM
Few years back, there was a series of videos by GE Hong ( Traditional Chinese woodworking) that showed the host doing the walk-a-bit.....one hit with the hammer, walk the chisel a bit,,,with the hammer already on it's way...did a through mortise in about the same time it took to type this.....David Weaver posted a bunch of those videos...

Tony Zaffuto
03-01-2019, 6:56 AM
Knife wall for me.

lowell holmes
03-01-2019, 6:22 PM
I walk my dog every morning. We did 2 miles today according to my pedometer.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2019, 12:36 PM
I walk my dog every morning. We did 2 miles today according to my pedometer.

Wow, that is having a real jones for the hobby, naming your dog Chisel.

Though in the past some of my pets have been rabbits.

jtk

Christopher Charles
03-02-2019, 3:19 PM
That must be one sharp dog.