PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 2500 diesel axle u-bolts

John K Jordan
02-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Anyone familiar with these?

Broke a u-bolt on the rear axle of my '99 Ram 2500, Cummins diesel. I'll call the Dodge dealer tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should try a u-bolt flip - off-roaders apparently like them since the ends of the bolts don't hang down. Not a problem for me, but since the bottom plates look bad instead of replacing them should I consider the flip?

The axle housing is 4" diameter, leaf springs 3" across, existing u-bolts are 1/2" diameter and about 15" long.

For those with experience, would you look for a flip kit that would fit or replace stock parts with new? Based on past experience I almost hate to hear what Dodge will want for the parts! I found u-bolts online at a good price and bottom plates for $40 ea but can't find out what diameter axle they fit.

PS, man, what a job to get things straightened up. The left axle had slipped back a little on the spring. It took me 2 hours and all the creativity I could muster to figure out how to support things so I could slide the axle and spacer forward. Working on gravel didn't make it any easier but with floor jack, a 2" ratchet strap, and that pile of 6x6 post offcuts I've been saving I finally got that part done.

PS2 - does anyone know which Dana model rear end they put on those trucks?

JKJ

James Tibbetts
02-26-2019, 11:03 PM
Dana 70 rear with the automatics .. 80 with manuals or dual rear wheel

Jerome Stanek
02-27-2019, 7:07 AM
I go to spring shops to get mine or trailer places

John K Jordan
02-27-2019, 7:48 AM
Thanks, the kind of info I needed. My truck is a single-axle manual transmission. Off to hunt for parts.

JKJ

Jim Becker
02-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Make sure you call the RAM dealer, John..."Dodge" hasn't made trucks for many years now. LOL (Just generating a chuckle...since it's probably the same dealer for J-R-D-C)

John K Jordan
02-27-2019, 1:03 PM
Make sure you call the RAM dealer, John..."Dodge" hasn't made trucks for many years now. LOL (Just generating a chuckle...since it's probably the same dealer for J-R-D-C)

I called today and [gasp] the dealer wants $240 for the four u-bolts. He couldn't tell me whether they were gold plated or not.

The best transmission shop in the entire southeast recommended a spring shop down the road who will make u-bolts while you wait, said it takes all of 5 minutes and at a fraction of the cost. This is great since I was preparing to thread and bend rod when I heard the price. Oddly, the dealer prices for other more specialized parts, such as the lower plate, were "reasonable."

Further inspection showed another u-bolt broken on the other side. Good grief, it's all because of the poor design of the lower plate. It's shaped like a bathtub to hold water, mud, and salt and the 1/2" rod at all eight u-bolt connections were narrowed by horrible corrosion to less than 1/4" diameter. I'm surprised the entire rear end didn't fall off. I'll replace everything and take steps to eliminate that problem.

I did lose the flat upper plate ("seat") on one side but I have steel plate and plasma cutter and I'm not afraid to use them.

JKJ

michael langman
02-27-2019, 2:29 PM
Spray the lithium grease in a can to completely cover the u bolts and plates. It will harden and then protect the steel for many years.

JERRY BRINKMAN
02-27-2019, 2:59 PM
Not really a bad design, but after 20 years mother nature took her toll on the parts. Stainless steel would be a better choice but far more expensive. Use of grease as mentioned is a good idea. If you live in a salt zone pressure washing should be done yearly. I see this same issue with vehicles from areas that use road salt in less than10 years many different parts under vehicle. I live on the west coast and seldom see this severe rusting problem.

Bill Dufour
02-27-2019, 4:04 PM
Sounds like the plates should have been be mounted upside down.
Bill D

Tom M King
02-27-2019, 4:56 PM
Dealer prices on parts have gone completely nuts. I wanted to replace the plastic pop pins holding the fender liner in, after changing the steering box on my 18 year old diesel dually. There were three different sizes of the pop pins involved, and the dealer wanted $42. I ordered an assortment of a couple of hundred off Amazon for $8. They were as good as the ones that came out, and now looks like I have a lifetime supply.

I did a Google search, and a set of those u-bolts goes for around 50 bucks online, with Many possibilities showing up.

I always check truck specific forums when such an issue comes up. When I needed to change the fuel injectors on my truck, after 13 years, and 240,000 miles, there was a how-to, with pictures of every step. Maybe could be an addition to the why I do everything myself thread, but the dealer wanted "something over 5k to replace the injectors". It took me six hours to dissassemble, six hours to put it all back together, and the injector kit, with all better than OEM parts was 1,800. I have a good shop to do mechanic work in, and don't mind doing it for 300 bucks an hour.

John K Jordan
02-28-2019, 12:27 AM
Sounds like the plates should have been be mounted upside down.

Not possible. What they call a "plate" formed piece of steel shaped to fit against a 4" diameter axle housing on the top. The design is poor. I live where subfreezing temperatures and snow are not common (I think 1/2" or so this year), definitely not a salt zone, and the truck didn't come from the north. But I still wash the undercarriage on occasion. I found dirt in the "trough" which makes me think that trapped moisture was a contributor. The spring dealer confirmed this was a known design problem and told me what he does to eliminate it.

JKJ

Larry Frank
02-28-2019, 7:47 AM
I think that 20 years is a pretty good life for the u-bolts since that is a difficult environment for a part for a part under heavy stress and fatigue conditions.. Was the break caused by corrosion or fatigue ... ?

I would ask what grade the bolts are before you buy them.

As I read your posts, I come to realize that you have every tool that is made.

Jerome Stanek
02-28-2019, 8:09 AM
I think that 20 years is a pretty good life for the u-bolts since that is a difficult environment for a part for a part under heavy stress and fatigue conditions.. Was the break caused by corrosion or fatigue ... ?

Spring shops make them all the time so they know what grade to use. I did buy some from a trailer place when I needed them when I was out of town working.

John K Jordan
02-28-2019, 9:18 AM
This shop was recommended by someone who knows. Looked to me the break was from corrosion.

As for tools, I like to have what I need to make and repair things around the farm and such, or at least patch them up for the short term. A builder friend of mine was helping me put up a building here and he commented that I sure had a lot of tools. Then on reflection he said that wasn't unusual, a lot of people have a lot of tools - the difference was it looked like I used all of mine. :)

With a mill and metal lathe, welding and cutting, sawmil/lathe/flatwood stuff, electronics, construction tools and such I realized one day what was missing was a way to make things out of cloth! So I bought myself an embroidery/sewing machine. I may be the only guy on my block with an embroidery machine but it has been very handy, especially when young friends want to make something for a present as below. It is great to be able help people, especially kids, gain a new experience or learn a skill!

404670 404671

JKJ

Steve Rozmiarek
02-28-2019, 8:47 PM
Spring shops make them all the time so they know what grade to use. I did buy some from a trailer place when I needed them when I was out of town working.

Yes, what Jerome said, and they will be a lot cheaper and probably better quality. Find a large truck (not pickup) repair shop and they will custom make them in a few mins. These break pretty often on trucks, not a big deal to replace.

John K Jordan
03-02-2019, 6:31 AM
Yes, what Jerome said, and they will be a lot cheaper and probably better quality. Find a large truck (not pickup) repair shop and they will custom make them in a few mins. These break pretty often on trucks, not a big deal to replace.

Got the u-bolts, larger diameter than the original and a fraction of the dealer cost. They included the nuts which the Dodge dealer wanted $5 each for. The spring shop made them while I stood there. The owner said they supply the u-bolts many of the dealers resell.

He said he when he started the company he intended to make it work by selling springs but is surprised that most of his business now is in u-bolts.

JKJ

Jeff Bartley
03-03-2019, 8:14 AM
'99 Cummins? Is this the holy-grail club cab 12-valve? I have a '96 dually with 419k on the odometer. Love that engine!

John K Jordan
03-03-2019, 10:25 PM
'99 Cummins? Is this the holy-grail club cab 12-valve? I have a '96 dually with 419k on the odometer. Love that engine!

Mine has the 24 valve turbo diesel. Excellent truck. I think it's got around 120k miles on it, can't remember. Great for hay.

404930 404929

JKJ