PDA

View Full Version : Xacta fence setup

Todd Pitts
02-26-2019, 9:01 PM
I just bought a Jet cab saw and with it if course it the Xacta fence.
Now, I have it set up to the point I need to true up the fence.
I have read the manual and have looked at what videos I can find.
I have also cruised the net to no avail.

Here is my problem:
the fence does not seem to be a "solid" as it should be.
Once I set the face of the fence 90 to the table using the 2 white adjustment screws.
I then set the fence parallel to the miter slot.
Thing is the fence is very wobbly. meaning that when you move it it can swing/drag from front to back by as much as 3.4 of an inch.

If I tighten this up to take all the play out you can hardly move the fence.
I do notice a small piece a white plastic running horizontal to the fence "on the bottom" near the far end.

What am I missing and where does one find "all" the parts for the fence.
It seems I have an older fence say 2000 model.
I see many different setups on the far end that the fence rides on.
I am wondering is that my issue or is the trouble just above the saw....?

glenn bradley
02-26-2019, 9:55 PM
T-square fences lock square, they do not necessarily move square to the miter slot. You should notice that when you apply pressure to lock that they lock in a true position.

Richard Coers
02-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Usually there are 3 pieces of UHMW on a typical fence. 2 on the inside of of the angle iron that squeezes to the front of the rail tube, that piece you are talking about under the fence, and the 2 plastic set screws that adjust the fence perpendicular to the table. You have the two set screws on the angle iron to adjust left and right, plus the effort to the knob, and those 2 plastic set screws. After that, I don't know where the issue is.

Todd Pitts
02-26-2019, 11:00 PM
True, yet mine is very sloppy when you move it.
I mean you you can see and feel the slop when moving it and it does not stay true when locked.
It seems the front of the fence touches the table and the back "by the lock" is up a good 3mm.
This pic shows how off it is...uggh

I have seen the xacta fence with a black nylon ball that rides on the back rail.
also a fence that has a nylon "white" pad in the middle on the bottom that sits on the table.
Mine has a very thin white nylon piece that rides on the table at all most the end of the table.404567404568

Todd Pitts
02-26-2019, 11:08 PM
Does the fence ride up above the table by a few mm's?
My front is touching or so close you can't measure it.
I think I need a new nylon front slide.
Thing is what one...
E-bay has one but it has 2 inserts and I do not know without tearing mine off it it do9es..don't think it does.
The fun just begins...

glenn bradley
02-27-2019, 9:09 AM
This may be helpful. The pads and adjustment mechanism on the Saw Stop fence are more elegant than my old Bies but, serve the same basic purpose. Here is the fence unlocked but pulled back against the rail by the handle and then released.

Here it is pushed to the left; note the difference at the cursor to tape area.

And locked.

The fence has to be loose enough to travel easily. It only has to be parallel to the feed direction when locked. The amount of slop is of no consequence unless it either:
A - Makes side to side movement difficult -- or --
B - It offends you personally :D

Todd Pitts
03-05-2019, 7:23 AM
Thanks Glenn, it does not offend me... :D
I just want it to work correctly.

If you look at the second pic in my post above you will see the nylon "slider".
Does anyone know where to buy these?
The only ones I have found are too thick and what jet has is not like what I have.
Also the "nylon on the lock cam just fell off... this is pretty thin stuff...any ideas on where to buy as well?
I am guessing my new saw is a 2000 model based on the serial number starting with 00.