PDA

View Full Version : Non slip surface for step stool

Steven Koenig
02-26-2019, 8:07 AM
I am building a step stool for my 2 year old daughter and she loves to wear slippery socks. I’ve been trying to think of what I can do to the step surface so she doesn’t go sliding right off of it. Anyone have a good solution?

Bill Space
02-26-2019, 8:31 AM
Painted or varnishes surface?

I believe there is a non-slip wax of some kind. Read about it and while being counterintuitive it might work. Never tried it myself.

If it is a painted surface, you can get a very fine powder to add to paint that makes a very good non slip surface. Paint the surface with this stuff in the paint. Works well.

Bill

Derek Cohen
02-26-2019, 8:42 AM
I used to create a non-slip surface on windsurfers by rolling a thin layer of two-pack epoxy (must be rolled on, and as thin as possible), and then sprinkling castor sugar (this is very, very fine sugar used in baking) over the top (it is important to spinkle it through a sieve and not throw clumps onto the surface. This creates an even layer). Once dry, brush the residue away. Then hose it down. The water will wash away the fine sugar and leave a patterned effect in the thin epoxy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter Kuhlman
02-26-2019, 8:52 AM
Derek- that is an amazingly creative idea!

Gary Ragatz
02-26-2019, 9:11 AM
There's self-adhesive tread tape that you could use.

+1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-15-ft-Safety-Walk-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7635NA/100132176

Edwin Santos
02-26-2019, 9:24 AM
Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product. A typical use is over slippery bathroom tiles.
Test it on a sample with your topcoat finish of choice to make sure there are no compatibility problems. I'm not expecting there will be any.

Creative answer - what Derek described!

Frank Pratt
02-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product. A typical use is over slippery bathroom tiles.
Test it on a sample with your topcoat finish of choice to make sure there are no compatibility problems. I'm not expecting there will be any.

Creative answer - what Derek described!

I've used this & it works well. It leaves a matte finish that has a very fine texture to it. The surface is not like sandpaper, but does have a slightly gritty feel. And as mentioned, is clear so it blends in easily with either a wood finish or paint.

Peter Christensen
02-26-2019, 1:08 PM
Cork. Either from an automotive/industrial supplier for making gaskets or flooring places that have unfinished cork for floors.

Robert Parent
02-26-2019, 1:27 PM
A few years back I used some fine grit powder sold in the paint department. You mix it with the final coat of finish, worked well.

Robert

Lee Schierer
02-26-2019, 2:34 PM
If it is a painted surface, you can get a very fine powder to add to paint that makes a very good non slip surface. Paint the surface with this stuff in the paint. Works well.

Bill

It works well with varnish type finishes as well.

Andrew Seemann
02-27-2019, 1:50 AM
Skateboard grip tape might work as well.

Marc Jeske
02-27-2019, 7:40 PM
Yup, skateboard shop if you have one nearby.... OR, most Old School Hardware stores have a 3M display of sold by the foot rolls of diff widths grip tape.. like for stair treads etc.

Razor cut to size from backside.

This stuff grips WAY better than any spray on or sand sprinkle method.

Marc

Mike Ontko
02-28-2019, 8:48 AM
Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product.

Yes, this! I used this on the steps of a ladder for a bunkbed project. You can apply it on top of the protective finish coat, or just before that final step. Just be sure to mask off the areas that you don't want to cover.

Ed Aumiller
02-28-2019, 8:24 PM
Put a coat of clear varnish, etc on it.... while still wet, sprinkle it with a handful of sand... easy, simple, cheap and it works...

Ken Platt
02-28-2019, 9:42 PM
I too needed to have a non-skid surface on a step stool, so in addition to using one of the roughing additives in the finish (shellac) I put a series of grooves in the steps with a cove bit, on the router table. It was more work that the grip tape stuff, but it was to go in our bedroom and the tape got vetoed due to appearance.

I felt like the grooves gave a very sure feel to the surface, but the slip worry was for my dog, who refused to even go near the thing.

Just another idea.

Ken

Marc Jeske
02-28-2019, 9:52 PM
Put a coat of clear varnish, etc on it.... while still wet, sprinkle it with a handful of sand... easy, simple, cheap and it works...

I have never done that.. but I think it is a great idea and very simple... Put the Varnish or whatever on and totally cover it w the sand.

Let it sit a few days, then shake and rub excess sand off.

My point is.. just DUMP on the sand.. what will stick will stick.

Marc

Erik Loza
02-28-2019, 9:53 PM
Off-topic but anyone know if that rustoleum stuff can go over bare aluminum? Never heard of it before but I’m thinking of the alu steps on my ladders, which have too many ribs for grip tape.

Erik

Frank Pratt
03-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Off-topic but anyone know if that rustoleum stuff can go over bare aluminum? Never heard of it before but I’m thinking of the alu steps on my ladders, which have too many ribs for grip tape.

Erik

Erik, I've use the Rustoleum stuff & it's good for what it is; a slightly grippy visually neutral coating. Haven't used it on aluminum, but I think it would quickly wear off in those conditions. Try heating the steps with a heat gun & then apply the grip tape with a rubber roller. I have had good success getting it to conform to uneven surfaces that way.

Tom Bender
03-05-2019, 6:08 PM
Ok good answers, now to hijack the thread a little, Bill mentioned a nonslip wax. That might be useful on my bench top where nothing abrasive would work. Anyone familiar with it?

Marc Jeske
03-05-2019, 7:09 PM
The skateboard type sheets and the 3M by the foot stuff is WAYYYYYYY more grippy than anything else.

Marc