PDA

View Full Version : Centurion

Wayne Lomman
02-26-2019, 7:02 AM
There has been some concern as to the fate of the world's tallest living hardwood tree after the recent bushfires in Tasmania's Huon Valley. The good news is that it has survived albeit with scars. Report available in the link below. Cheers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-26/tall-tree-centurion-survives-bushfire/10758538

Yonak Hawkins
02-26-2019, 12:00 PM
Thanks for telling about this tree, Wayne. The tallest hardwood tree in the world is quite a distinction. I hope it continues to survive and the fire didn't bode its death knell. We've had our own scourge of devastating fires on our side of the Pacific, as well.

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2019, 9:04 PM
Interesting stuff Wayne. I sure hope Centurion pulls through. Do keep us posted, if you hear how it's doing.

Bill Dufour
02-27-2019, 4:14 PM
Interesting that the tallest hardwoods in North America are eucalyptus blue gum from seed from Australia brought over around 1860?

Wayne Lomman
02-28-2019, 7:20 AM
Bill, the ones in NA you are referring to are Tasmanian Blue Gum, which is a source of completely unjustifiable pride on my part (but then it doesn't take much to keep me happy). Centurion is a Mountain Ash - Eucalyptus Regan's. Cheers