PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14SE or Delta X5 28-475X Bandsaw?

Murray Hensch
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I am considering the purchase of a 14" bandsaw, and have narrowed my choices to the Laguna 14SE or the Delta X5 (28-475X). I would appreciate any comments that may assist my making an appropriate choice.

Ken Shoemaker
12-06-2005, 1:55 PM
Murry,
I'm pretty new to the Creek. If you look a little farther back in the threads I reviewed the X5. I just put mine together last week end. Haven't used it too much, only for some test cuts that pretty went well.

I hope the post helps.

Good luck... Ken

Jeff Sudmeier
12-06-2005, 2:00 PM
Murray,

Welcome to the creek! You have joined a great forum.

I have a Laguna Resaw master and love it, but I haven't used a Delta bandsaw.

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2005, 2:10 PM
IIRC, the Laguna has quite a bit more resaw capacity, so you'll have to add the riser kit (~$90) to the Delta to get an apples-apples comparison.

Murray Hensch
12-06-2005, 2:27 PM
One of the pieces of information I am particularly interested in is:
What is the bandsaw tension capability?
I understand the max capability for the Delta X5 is ~15,000PSI.
Anyone know (measured) the max tension capability for the Laguna 14SE?
Anyone out there own a Laguna 14SE?

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2005, 4:23 PM
I understand the max capability for the Delta X5 is ~15,000PSI.Does Not Compute: one of the components of tension PSI is the cross-section of the blade, so that "max capability" is only applicable to one blade size (presumably the widest the saw can handle). For narrower blades, the max tension available is proportionally higher.

Brad Olson
12-06-2005, 4:30 PM
One of the pieces of information I am particularly interested in is:
I understand the max capability for the Delta X5 is ~15,000PSI.
Anyone know (measured) the max tension capability for the Laguna 14SE?
Anyone out there own a Laguna 14SE?

For 14" saws this really is a non issue because you won't be running 1" blades.

In my experience, 14" saws are able to tension most 1/2" blades to at least 20,000 psi, which is more than enough for good performance, especially if you go with blades like timberwolf low-tension blades. Louis Iturra also has metioned that he gets great results with 1/2" lenox trimaster blade and he was tensioning it to about 15,000 psi (IIRC).

It is also a non-issue because the wheel diameter of a 14" saw is so small that you don't want to risk fatiguing the blade by overtensioning the blade on a small wheel

I would focus on these more important issues:

Features
Horsepower
Resaw capacity
Warranty

Just my $0.02

Cecil Arnold
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Have you looked at the small Mini-Max? You might save some on shipping, since Austin is closer to you than LA.

Dave Malen
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Murray,
I've owned my 14se for about 3 months. It is a well built bandsaw. It's frame is extremely rigid. I used to own a 14 inch 1hp jet bandsaw with a riser block. Not nearly as rigid as the laguna. However I got good results with the timberwolf half inch blade. The laguna can run the resaw king one inch blade without any problems. This is a steel blade with braised tips. It is not carbide. It provides excellent smooth cuts. Although not very fast. It can be sharpened about four or five times I am told, It costs about $130.The ceramic guides are very precise. Adjustment can be finicky until you get the hang of it. I bought hex heads for my ratchet wrench to make adjustment easier. The motor is made by baldor and said to be 2 hp saw duty. It looks to me like a 1 and a half "continuous" duty motor to me. I've been very happy with it's ability to cut seven inch wide pieces of veneer one sixteenth of an inch thick. It's fence is very well made and can be adjusted for blade drift. It runs on a very solid 0ne inch diameter steel rod, The guide post is perfectly straight and does not move it's position when it is raised or llowered. The saw is very quiet and well made. And dust collection is well designed and captures most of the dust.
On the negative side I found a ding on the top wheel cover and some rust spots on the stand. Laguna customer service was very responsive on these issues. i was sent a new cover in one week and touch up paint for the rust spots. Although this saw cost more I would buy it again, If you do decide to buy the Laguna talk to Karl Knapp . He was very helpful.

If there's anyother info you need feel free to contact me.
Dave Malen

Murray Hensch
12-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Hello Dave,

Thanks for the addtional Laguna information...

Could you look at the motor housing and provide me with the Volts (xxx/yyy) and Amps (aaa/bbb) information?

Thanks,
Murray

Murray Hensch
12-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hello Cecil,

What is the model for the small mini-max? Price?

Murray

John Shuk
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I have a Laguna lt16. I'm not terribly happy with it/ Laguna tools. I've heard alot of happy stories about Laguna. Mine just isn't one of them. My plan was to buy the 14se but when I called to order with shipping I was only about $110 away from the 16 so I got that instead. To bring this to a point I would go with the local vendor here. Alot of people are happy with Delta machines and Laguna is clear across the country. You pay alot for shipping unless you make a deal for a "Show machine". I think some simple upgrades can make for a great machine in the Delta and if you have a problem you can go to the store and dump it in their lap. This is based on my experience only. I don't find that I need the ceramic guides really. I don't see them being worth the extra buck. I wish you the best in your decision.

Cecil Arnold
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Murray, I must be suffering from CRS. I thought I recalled MM advertising a saw that competed with the Laguna, but upon checking their web site discovered I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Dave Malen
12-07-2005, 5:55 PM
Murray,
The motor plate indicates the volts are 115/230 and the amps are 10.3/20.6. Actually I think these numbers might be about the same as other 2hp machines. What do you (or anyone else) think?

Dave

Murray Hensch
01-09-2006, 9:05 AM
Hello Dave,

Well I've done it...I will be receiving a Laguna 14 SE within one week. My research, which included the Laguna DVD, as well as in-person assessment of the Delta X5, has brought me to decide on the Laguna. By the way, the voltage and current numbers you provided appear to coincide with a 2HP motor.
Q1: Could you provide a motor model number so I can compare against the one I receive ? ? ?
Q2: What blades have you been using, and what is your opinion of them ? ? ?

Murray