PDA

View Full Version : Old aerosol paint cans

lowell holmes
02-24-2019, 7:34 PM
How should you get rid of them?

Darcy Warner
02-24-2019, 7:40 PM
I like to toss a few in a big bon fire for a little bit of excitement.

Otherwise I throw everything in my dumpster.

Peter Rawlings
02-24-2019, 8:06 PM

And if you want to make a crude but fun vertical cannon, you can burn them in 55 gal. drum, aka burn barrel.

John K Jordan
02-24-2019, 8:54 PM

Propane cylinders are fun too. I used to thrown them in a fire over the bank then shoot through them. Somehow I survived. Never tried spray paint cans.

But a better way to dispose of old spray paint cans might be to spray till empty on some cardboard or newspaper and let it dry. The "convenience" centers here won't take wet paint in a container, pressurized or not. But a few times a year there are hazardous chemical/material roundups in this area where you can dispose of (almost) anything - maybe there is one near Dickinson TX.

JKJ

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2019, 8:54 PM
Take them to the nearest household hazardous waste depot so the contents and the metal can be recycled....Rod

Lee Schierer
02-24-2019, 9:06 PM
Once they are empty and the gas pressure is depleted, punch a hole in them to drain out any residual content and recycle.

Myk Rian
02-25-2019, 9:13 AM
Target practice. Got a pellet gun or 22?
Recycle what's left of the can.

Bruce Wrenn
02-25-2019, 8:45 PM
Drain them dry, then cut open and salvage the marble inside. Most contain a colored glass ball, which as a kid we called "flints."

Ed Aumiller
02-26-2019, 8:56 PM
Agree with Myk... we would throw or set them up on a quarry wall and use them for target practice... never any doubt if you hit one ....
Then put them in a recycling bin...

lowell holmes
02-28-2019, 11:06 AM
I have decided to spray the contents on newspaper and let it dry and then put in the trash.

Mike Wilkins
03-04-2019, 10:57 AM
When we were younger, my brother and I would get used aerosol cans and lay them on a fence post and use them for target practice. A 22. in the bottom of the can would make them shoot off like a rocket. We lived in the country and manufactured our own fun.