PDA

View Full Version : Shop Project – Dustopper

Bruce Page
02-23-2019, 5:54 PM
I love my Fein T3 vac but hate cleaning its filter. After reading about the Dustopper I decided to give it a try. I really like the compact design over the tall and tippy mini cyclones.
I have been using the Dustopper for a few weeks now and it does a very good job of catching almost all of the dust & chips. Very little has made its way into my T3. My only complaint was moving the T3 and Dustopper around the shop. I decided to make a compact cart where both could live under the router wing of my table saw. The bucket lifts easily out of the carts holder rings for emptying and is rock solid in use.
Other than buying an additional male/female elbow every thing else was made from materials I had on hand. I reused the T3’s small casters.

tom lucas
02-23-2019, 8:23 PM
nicely done. Looks like the stinger needs some dust collection help:)

Rick Potter
02-23-2019, 8:25 PM
Nice job, Bruce. Can I borrow your CNC for a while? :eek:

Bruce Page
02-23-2019, 8:51 PM
nicely done. Looks like the stinger needs some dust collection help:)

Yeah, normally the DC does a pretty good job but the profile cuts in this piece were right on the edge.

Brian W Evans
02-24-2019, 9:51 AM
Nice build! Very professional looking.

Where did you get the extra elbow? Annoyingly, HD doesn't sell one.

Bruce Page
02-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Nice build! Very professional looking.

Where did you get the extra elbow? Annoyingly, HD doesn't sell one.

Brian, I pulled the bristle assembly off of one of these from Lowes. Instant male/female elbow.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-...-Brush/1060273

johnny means
02-24-2019, 2:07 PM
How is the bucket holding up? Every bucket I tried with my CT/Dust Deputy setup collapses and eventually fails from the vacuum.

Bruce Page
02-24-2019, 2:30 PM
How is the bucket holding up? Every bucket I tried with my CT/Dust Deputy setup collapses and eventually fails from the vacuum.
No issues so far. A friend that runs a local restaurant gave me this bucket. It’s 7 or 8 gallons and seems a little more stout than the 5 gallon from HD. I will keep an eye on it, thanks.

Jim Morgan
02-24-2019, 6:43 PM

Make a double-walled bucket - two stacked buckets won't collapse.

Kris Cook
02-24-2019, 9:22 PM
Nice. Good to have another source of feedback on the Dustopper. Planning to install at least one in the new shop. Thinking of a stationary unit under the sanding table with a small down-draft top either built-in or something I can place on top. The low profile is a big plus.

Haven't figured out how I am going to handle router table duties but am considering another setup similar to above for a stand-alone router table.

Frank Pratt
02-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Make a double-walled bucket - two stacked buckets won't collapse.

When I got my DD kit it included 2 buckets, I assume for this purpose. But I just use a single bucket & it's never showed any tendency to collapse.