PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Unisaw Pulleys and Blade Position.

Mike Mulville
02-23-2019, 1:02 PM
I replaced the arbor bearings on my new to me unisaw. When I was pulling everything apart I noticed the arbor pulley and motor pulley were over an inch out of alignment. I figured I'd fix this upon reassembly. There is quite a bit of lateral movement available on the arbor bracket and some more on the motor pulley. I aligned the arbor pulley with the motor pulley but then the blade was too far right and didn't fit the insert. So I moved the arbor bracket back out to match the insert but to align the Pulleys I needed to move the motor pulley out about 1/8" be then it was about 1/16" off the end of the shaft. The saw top does have play but even with this set up the top is all the way to the right to get the blade in the insert slot. Any input is appreciated. I think Monday I'll call Delta.

Mike

George Makra
02-23-2019, 1:40 PM
Align it like you did then to get the belt straight and then get a couple blank inserts and make zero clearance inserts for your blades.

Matt Day
02-23-2019, 1:58 PM
There’s more to it than that. The pulley has to be placed 3.5” off the end bell I believe so it aligns with the guard/splitter and doesn’t run on the blade raising shaft. There’s a good tutorial On OWWM.

Mike Mulville
02-23-2019, 2:24 PM
There’s more to it than that. The pulley has to be placed 3.5” off the end bell I believe so it aligns with the guard/splitter and doesn’t run on the blade raising shaft. There’s a good tutorial On OWWM.

I've been looking for that tutorial. I felt there was more to it but just can't figure out the correct way. I'll do a search there, thanks.

Mike Mulville
02-23-2019, 3:08 PM
I'm not finding anything that seems like it pertains to this model/type 34-801f, it's a 1987 vintage. There is adjustment on the blade guard/splitter bracket too. I read another post here about someone with a similar issue and Delta told them it's OK for the pulley to hang over the end of the motor shaft by 3/8". I'm just not so sure about that.

Matt Day
02-23-2019, 7:07 PM
Here’s a pic I found. Don’t have time to look for more right now.

Mike Mulville
02-23-2019, 7:30 PM
Here’s a pic I found. Don’t have time to look for more right now.

I checked this and the motor pulley is about 3.8". It hangs get shaft end about that much. I'll probably ask on OWWM, I'm not a member over there yet, and call Delta Monday.

Matt Day
02-23-2019, 7:53 PM
I checked this and the motor pulley is about 3.8". It hangs get shaft end about that much. I'll probably ask on OWWM, I'm not a member over there yet, and call Delta Monday.

It does what? The Delta of today might not know what a Unisaw is! Best bet is to ask on OWWM. Make sure you’re clear with your question and add a couple pictures.