PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Smoothing Plane

Jim Riseborough
02-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Anyone have this plane? https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-22-Smoothing-Plane/H8841

Is it worth 50$, its on sale this weekend.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Are you close enough to go give it a look?

Maybe take a small block of wood along with you to see how the blade cuts/adjusts.

jtk

Derek Cohen
02-23-2019, 11:54 AM
It's a jointer (Bailey #7) in the link, not a smoothing plane. Perhaps this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-3-pc-Woodworking-Plane-Set/H6243

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frederick Skelly
02-23-2019, 11:59 AM
If you have $50 to spare and like to tinker and tune, it might be fun to give it a try. (I say that because sometimes I do stuff like that just for entertainment.) At 22", I wouldn't consider it really a smoother, it's closer to a Jointer. [Edit: I think Derek is probably right.]

Something to consider: if you're buying it because you really do need a functional tool, you might be on more predictable ground refurbing an old Stanley instead.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Jim,

Derek is more observant than me. My morning coffee has not yet been made.

If you are looking for a smoother the #7 is not in the ball park.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
02-23-2019, 1:08 PM
From the comments, it looks like it may need some work with the iron/chipbreaker, and perhaps some tinkering with the frog to get it running properly. I would expect that anyway though at that price point.

If this is your first plane, it might be difficult for you to figure out what needs to be corrected.

ETA: They do have smoothers, including corrugated a corrugated sole smoother (they call it “serrated”).

John Skibo
02-23-2019, 1:10 PM
If you can hold it in hand take a square and straight edge with you

Jim Riseborough
02-23-2019, 1:22 PM
Are you close enough to go give it a look?

Maybe take a small block of wood along with you to see how the blade cuts/adjusts.

jtk

Im not. I have been looking for a Used older Stanley online, willing to pay $100-$125 for one, just didnt know how this would compare

Jim Riseborough
02-23-2019, 1:25 PM
It's a jointer (Bailey #7) in the link, not a smoothing plane. Perhaps this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-3-pc-Woodworking-Plane-Set/H6243

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim,

Derek is more observant than me. My morning coffee has not yet been made.

If you are looking for a smoother the #7 is not in the ball park.

jtk

Yes, the link is correct, but the title is not. I am looking for a jointer plane. For 50$ and a bit of work it seems it could be worth it.

Bob Leistner
02-23-2019, 1:30 PM
Jim Bode will have #4's for less and will be safe to buy. For a couple more dollars, Bode may be able to sell you a #4 and a #5.

Don Dorn
02-23-2019, 1:39 PM
I have a Grizzly #5. It was my first plane and a gift from my wife as I had no expectations then. Really lucked out as it must have been a Wednesday plane because it worked just fine out of the box. Since, I became more familiar, I did some work on the frog and the chip breaker and that improved things greatly. Have since put a Hock blade and breaker in and now, it will pull off .001 shavings even though that isn't an expectation of a #5. It was worth the bit of work based on it's origin, but today, it's used as a jointer for small projects.

I've got far more expensive/quality planes now, but in comparison of use, the Griz holds its own.

Jim Riseborough
02-23-2019, 2:08 PM
Thanks, I am going to order it, I am hoping the ship a jointer plane, not a smoother!

Jim Koepke
02-23-2019, 2:27 PM
Thanks, I am going to order it, I am hoping the ship a jointer plane, not a smoother!

Please let us know how it works when you receive it.

jtk

Kurtis Johnson
02-23-2019, 3:48 PM
Im not. I have been looking for a Used older Stanley online, willing to pay $100-$125 for one, just didnt know how this would compare
Judging by the photo the castings/walls are much thicker. If made from comparable iron, the Grizzly would be heavier, maybe much heavier.

I paid through the nose for my Stanley No. 7. The Grizzly is just over a quarter of the price, fwiw.

Jim Riseborough
02-26-2019, 8:33 AM
Please let us know how it works when you receive it.

jtk

Will do, shipped yesterday, see when I get it and can play with it.